History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Harley Head Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighouse, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7182 / 53°43'5"N

Longitude: -1.8054 / 1°48'19"W

OS Eastings: 412939

OS Northings: 424656

OS Grid: SE129246

Mapcode National: GBR HTTF.YW

Mapcode Global: WHC9N.7SJY

Entry Name: Harley Head Farmhouse

Listing Date: 2 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133840

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338838

Location: Calderdale, HX3

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Hipperholme and Lightcliffe

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Brighouse

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hove Edge Saint Chad

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Brighouse

Listing Text

SE 12 SW
3/104

BRIGHOUSE
HALIFAX ROAD (OFF)

Nos. 206 to 21..6 (even)
(Harley Head Farmhouse)

II

Row of cottages formerly an early C18 house of L shape to which was added 4 more
bays to the left hand end in the late C18 or early C19. Thin coursed rubble
stone, white washed, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. Original house of hall and
cross-wing plan. Cross-wing hipped to south gabled to north. South front of
original house of 3 bays each retaining chamfered mullioned windows with square
reveals of 3 large lights the centre of which is sashed. 2 inserted doorways
with thin monolithic jambs. Over all is long hoodmould partly mutilated by
inserted doorways. 1st floor has one similar window and other sashed windows.
One stack to left hand gable, one other at junction of 2nd and 3rd bays. Right
hand return wall has 2-light similar window to 1st floor. Rear has single
storey outshot flush with cross-wing which retains chamfered mullioned windows
with square reveals now of 3 large lights with hoodmoulds to both floors. This
elevation is rendered. One other similar window to aisle. Attached with lower
roofline are 3 bays which retain flat faced mullioned windows of 3 lights to
each bay. One stack to ridge. During the period 1839 to 1887 the Brighouse
Council offices were housed here, prior to the construction of the municipal
offices in the Town Hall in Brighouse (q.v.) in 1887.

Listing NGR: SE1293924656

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.