This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7176 / 53°43'3"N
Longitude: -1.7973 / 1°47'50"W
OS Eastings: 413472
OS Northings: 424594
OS Grid: SE134245
Mapcode National: GBR HTWG.P2
Mapcode Global: WHC9N.CTCD
Plus Code: 9C5WP693+23
Entry Name: Giles House
Listing Date: 3 January 1967
Last Amended: 2 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300213
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338883
Location: Hipperholme and Lightcliffe, Calderdale, HD6
Electoral Ward/Division: Hipperholme and Lightcliffe
Built-Up Area: Brighouse
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lightcliffe St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BRIGHOUSE LOWER FINKIL STREET
SE 12 SW
3/144 Giles House
(formerly listed under
St Giles Road)
House. Dated 1655. Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. Double
pile on plan. 3 gabled south front of 3 rooms and 3 bays. Drip course, coped
gables with kneelers and ball finials. All are double chamfered mullioned
windows, those to ground floor having transoms. The outer bays retain their
original 12 lights with a 6-light window over to 1st bay and a 5-light window to
3rd bay. The central bay has an 8-light window, formerly of 12 lights now
reduced and C20 doorway in the original position replacing a C19 doorway with
monolithic jambs. Over is an inscribed stone possibly re-set and re-used from
the original door reading '1655 TN' (Timothy Netherwood). The first floor of
the central bay has an 8-light window with king mullion with a columbarium to
gable. Between the 1st 2 bays is an arch-headed light with spandrels now
forming surround to a coat of arms carved in relief. 2 stacks to ridge.
Decorative modern glazing with several engraved panes to 1st floor. One records
'Brighouse New Church Consecrated September 24th 1831'.
Another 'Jon h Carter came to Giles House
on May Day 1770
The Lord is my Shepherd
Therefore do I lack nothing.'
The right hand return wall has drip course and preserves double chamfered
mullioned windows of 7 lights to ground floor (rear kitchen) and 4 lights (one
mullion removed) to 1st floor. Rear has 3 similar gables. The 1st bay lintel
with gable stack (to kitchen). The 2nd and 3rd bays were probably reconstructed
over a single storey aisle or outshut to provide additional accommodation in the
1st quarter C18. Central bay has recessed chamfered mullioned windows with
square reveals of 6 lights to ground floor and 4 lights to 1st floor. Situated
at junction of the 1st 2 bays is doorway with monolithic jambs and semi-circular
arch with projecting dropped keystone. Set within the gable is rectangular
stone with oval depression and architrave inscribed 'MG 1723' (Michael Gibson).
3rd bay has 2 similar windows to 1st floor with hoodmoulds and 2 3-light flat
faced mullioned windows to ground floor which has doorway with monolithic jambs.
Attached is 2-storey range formerly connected with textile manufacture. At its
junction with the house is doorway with monolithic jambs with taking-in door
over. Ground floor has recessed flat faced mullioned windows with square
reveals of 3 and 5 lights. Different masonry to 1st floor which has 2 3-light
flat faced mullioned windows. This was probably a single storey outshut in the
mid C18 raised to 2 storeys in the C19. South front was probably 2 storeys
originally perhaps contemporary with the 1723 rebuilding of the rear of house
and preserves 2 double framed chamfered mullioned windows with square reveals of
3 lights to 1st floor. Attached to 3rd bay south front is garden wall of
hammer-dressed stone, with stone capping in which is doorway with monolithic
jambs and semi-circular arch, the voussoirs of which are slightly recessed to
the inner edge with prominent dropped keystone inscribed 'SSM 1811'.
Interior: Fairly featureless except to 1st bay ground floor room which was
parlour and has fireplace with a shallow arched lintel and chamfered surround,
carved wooden overmantel bears the date 1655 and is decorated with 4 panels of
lozenges set horizontally with an arcaded central panel with floral motif. Over
is a plaster frieze formed of a double arcade with pilasters the panels of which
have fruit and foliage enrichments. G. Hepworth, Brighouse, its scenery and
antiquities, (Haifax,1885), p.16. D. Nortcliffe, Buildings of Brighouse,
(Brighouse 1978), p.22.
Listing NGR: SE1347224594
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings