This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7151 / 53°42'54"N
Longitude: -1.8012 / 1°48'4"W
OS Eastings: 413217
OS Northings: 424318
OS Grid: SE132243
Mapcode National: GBR HTVG.VZ
Mapcode Global: WHC9N.9WJ9
Entry Name: Ivy House Farm
Listing Date: 2 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184340
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338902
Location: Calderdale, HD6
Electoral Ward/Division: Hipperholme and Lightcliffe
Built-Up Area: Brighouse
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hove Edge Saint Chad
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BRIGHOUSE SPOUTHOUSE LANE
SE 12 SW
3/165 Nos. 4, 6 and 8 (Ivy House
House. Initialled and dated 'TYR 1713' over doorway. Double pile on plan under
one roof. Front forms one dwelling, 2 others to rear. Hammer-dressed stone,
stone slate roof. 2 storeys. South-east front has 3 room plan of 3 bays.
Reads from left; C19 doorway with monolithic jambs. All are recessed chamfered
mullioned windows of 5 lights with square reveals to both floors in 1st 2 bays
with inserted window of 2 lights to 1st floor between windows. Drip course
continues over ground floor windows of 1st 2 bays and over main entry door to
right hand of 2nd bay which has doorway with plain composite jambs and inscribed
lintel. Drip course terminates at junction of 3rd bay which has late C18
detail; doorway with monolithic jambs and thin flat faced mullioned windows of
4 lights to each floor. Quoins to left hand only which has coped gable with
kneelers and large stack. 2 other stacks, at junction of bays. Originally this
elevation indicates that the house was originally of 2 cells with gable stacks
and a central stack with an added extra room in the later C18 to the right hand
end. Left hand return wall is blind (rendered). Right hand return wall has
single storey lean-to, an arched attic light (solid) and 2 single light windows
to ground floor, one of which is sashed with 12 panes. The other has chamfered
surround and hoodmould with straight return in the rear half of the pile which
is rendered. This is the only C17 window and may indicate an earlier building
on the site or be re-used. Long sloping cat slide roof to rear which is L
shaped formed by late C18 extension to main range which has flat faced mullioned
windows of 4 lights to each floor and doorway with monolithic jambs. Set back
is main range which has recessed flat faced mullioned windows with square
reveals of 3 lights and 4 lights with inserted C19 doorway with monolithic jambs
to ground floor. Over is remains of drip course and 2 flat faced mullioned
windows of 3 lights. Ivy House Farm was licensed c.1796 for Wesleyan services
the then home of John Sharp. It once had an engraved window inscribed:
'Peace be on this house bestowed:
Peace on all that here reside.
Let the unknown peace of God
With the man of peace abide,
- Nov. 4, 1807' (The Brighouse Echo, February 6, 1970).
Listing NGR: SE1321724318
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings