History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Futher Education Centre

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighouse, Calderdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7036 / 53°42'12"N

Longitude: -1.7835 / 1°47'0"W

OS Eastings: 414391

OS Northings: 423040

OS Grid: SE143230

Mapcode National: GBR HTZM.P3

Mapcode Global: WHC9V.K5YL

Entry Name: Futher Education Centre

Listing Date: 2 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133865

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338799

Location: Calderdale, HD6

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Brighouse

Built-Up Area: Brighouse

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brighouse Saint Martin

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Brighouse

Listing Text

BRIGHOUSE CHURCH LANE, BRIGHOUSE
SE 12 SW
3/50 Further Education Centre

G.V. II

Further Education Centre, formerly St. Martin's Secondary Modern School. 1835
with additions of 1861. Single storey. Gothic Revival. Earliest range has
gable end fronting lane with plinth and triple lancet window of Early English
type with hoodmould with decorative stops. Quatrefoil attic light. Coped gable
with clasping buttresses. Left hand return wall has entry under low gable with
pointed arched doorway flanked by buttresses, and with inscribed stone set
within a shield. Right hand return wall has 7 bays of windows with pointed
arches, stone gutter and one lateral stack. Attached is another long range of
similar character dated 1865 in slightly higher gable. 1st 2 bays have triple
lancets then a further 7 bays of pointed arched windows. Attached at right
angles is another range forming 2 sides of a quadrangle. The inner court, has
matching entry at the junction of the 2 ranges and attached 2-storey masters
house of similar character, now forming office accommodation.

Interior: preserves open hall with decorative queen post roof with drop finials
and braces, and large board with arched head recording the subscribers to the
extension of the School and the Schoolmaster's House-erected in 1861 at a cost
of £1,327.16.11. D. Nortcliffe, Buildings of Brighouse (Brighouse 1978),
p.32.


Listing NGR: SE1439123040

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.