This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7043 / 53°42'15"N
Longitude: -1.784 / 1°47'2"W
OS Eastings: 414358
OS Northings: 423115
OS Grid: SE143231
Mapcode National: GBR HTZL.KV
Mapcode Global: WHC9V.K5Q2
Plus Code: 9C5WP638+PC
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 3 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365699
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338800
Location: Calderdale, West Yorkshire, HD6
Electoral Ward/Division: Brighouse
Built-Up Area: Brighouse
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brighouse Saint Martin
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BRIGHOUSE CHURCH LANE, BRIGHOUSE
SE 12 SW
3/51 Church of St. Martin
Commissioners' Church. 1831 by L. Hammerton. Hammer-dressed stone, ashlar
dressings, slate roof. Nave, west tower and added chancel c.1906 by Hodgson
Fowler. No aisles. Nave has 6 bays of lancet windows with 'Y'-tracery, angle
buttresses between each bay with pointed heads and weathering. Embattled
parapet. Between nave and chancel is octagonal pinnacle. Chancel has similar
buttresses dividing 3 bays of arch headed windows with more decorative tracery.
East window of similar character under string course which rises parallel
with gable. Plain parapet. Tower of 3 stages with set back buttresses has
empty niche to 1st stage over arch headed doorway. 2nd stage added
clock c.1846 over arched window. Belfry has 'Y'-tracery. Embattled parapet has
crocketed pinnacles. The west front has 3 tall lancets with 'Y'-tracery, one in
lst stage of tower.
Interior: Wide bare nave with flat partly coved ceiling. Large west gallery
originally on 3 sides now cut back. Chancel, of ashlar inside, has tall chancel
arch and arcades. Complete furnishings in Perpendicular style, including
painted and carved reredos. Elaborate pulpit 1912. One window of glass in
Pre-Raphaelite style c.1820 by Morris, and fine East Window with figures of
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London 1967) p.147. G. Hepworth,
Brighouse its Scenery and Antiquities (Halifax 1885) p.8.
Listing NGR: SE1435823115
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings