This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8679 / 53°52'4"N
Longitude: -1.9045 / 1°54'16"W
OS Eastings: 406375
OS Northings: 441300
OS Grid: SE063413
Mapcode National: GBR HR4Q.G6
Mapcode Global: WHB7W.Q18M
Entry Name: 4-80, Cavendish Street
Listing Date: 22 January 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133995
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338414
Location: Keighley, Bradford, BD21
Civil Parish: Keighley
Built-Up Area: Keighley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Keighley
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
The following items shall added:-
KEIGHLEY CAVENDISH STREET
SE 0641 SW (West Side)
27/311 Nos 4 to 80 (even)
Row of 38 shops with offices over. 1899, 1902, 1907 and later. Coursed rubble and
ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with 35 stacks, some truncated. 3 storey
plus attics. Nos 4 to 10. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, 4 bay west front
with single bay chamfered corner and 3 bay gabled south front. Plaster strips first
and second floor moulded bands and eaves plus first floor moulded impost band.
No 4 has ashlar Doric column shop front with C20 windows and corner doorway diamond
glazing overlight with to right a window. Above a round headed 2 light window on
the west and a narrower similar window to corner, both with keystones, to east a
central tall divided stair window flanked by single plain sashes. Above a pair of
plain sashes in east, a similar sash to the corner and 2 sashes to the east. Above
east front a large combined stack and gable with 2 round headed windows and ball
finials. Nos 6, 8 and 10 each has a C20 shop front with iron and glass canopy and
above 3 round headed 3 light windows with keystones. Above again 4 single and a
pair of plain sashes. Topped with 2, 3 light C20 dormers and a 2 light dormer.
Nos 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20. Ashlar, 5 bays with 5 C20 shop fronts with an iron and
glass canopy. Above 5, 2 light cross casements in moulded ashlar surrounds, with
carved panels above linking with 5 further cross casements. Nos 16 and 18 are
flanked by plain buttresses rising to ogee capped stone finials with a pedimented
gable between with 2 small windows flanking a central buttress. To the left a
2-light dormer with sashes, and to the right 2 C20 dormers. Nos 22 and 24. Coursed
rubble with ashlar dressings. Moulded first and second floor bands and flanking
pilasters. 2 bay with 2 C20 shop fronts with an iron and glass canopy. Above
2 canted oriel windows with plain sashes, above 2 pairs of plain sashes with moulded
ashlar surrounds. Above 2 segment headed gable dormers. Nos 26, 28, 30, 32 and 34.
Ashlar, 5 bays, with 5 C20 shop fronts and an iron and glass canopy. Above pilaster
strips to outer bays, central triple window flanked by 2, 3 light cross casements
with moulded surrounds with carved upper panels linked to similar upper windows. The
upper central bay has 3 windows with flanking pilasters, with above a large scroll
pediment with a pair of central sashes, with smaller flanking sashes. Either side
2, 3 light dormer windows. Nos 36, 38, 40, 42 and 44. Ashlar, 5 bays 5 C20 shop
fronts with an iron and glass canopy. Above'pilaster strips between bays and
dentilated eaves. 5, 3 light casements with plain ashlar surrounds and flat hoods,
above 5 similar windows. The central bay topped by an open segmental pediment.
Nos 46, 48 and 50. Ashlar 3 bays 3 C20 shop fronts with an iron and glass canopy.
Above pilaster strips between bays and dentilated eaves. Central 3 windows with
plain ashlar surrounds and flat hoods, flanked by single 3 light similar windows.
Upper floor has similar fenestration. Central bay topped by a segment headed gable
with segment headed 3 light casement. Nos 52 and 54. Coursed rubble with ashlar
dressings. 2 bays 2 C20 shop fronts, with an iron and glass canopy. Above 2,
2-storey canted bay windows in raised ashlar surrounds each with a Venetian window
and moulded hood, each bay topped by an open moulded segmental pediment, flanked by
vase finials. No 56. Ashlar. Single bay. Single C20 shop front with an iron and
glass canopy. Above moulded cill bands, outer pilaster strips and dentilated eaves.
Above central 2 light casement, flanked by single light similar windows all with
plain ashlar surrounds and flat hoods. Upper floor has similar fenestration.
Nos 58, 60, 62, 64, 66, 68, 70, 72, 74 and 76. Ashlar. 9 bays. 9 C20 shop fronts
with an iron and glass canopy. Above pilaster strips between bays and dentilated
eaves. Above central and outer gabled bays, with central and outer canted bay
windows, with between 3, 3 light casements with plain ashlar surrounds and flat
hoods to either side. Above 9 similar 3 light windows. Central pedimented gable
has small 3 light casement in similar surround, outer segment headed gables have
similar 3 light casements with segment heads. Nos 78 and 80. Ashlar. 5 windows. A
large shop front and office entrance doorway to right with an iron and glass canopy.
Above 4 casements in plain ashlar surrounds with flat hoods, to the left a 3 light
corner bay window with similar surrounds. Above similar fenestration pattern, with
moulded surrounds and keystones. Above a single and a 3 light dormer, and to the
left an octagonal ashlar cupola with casements, an ashlar dome topped with short
spire. This row of shops were constructed as a speculative development from 1899.
Ten shops were designed by J Judson and Moore for the Yorks Land Company, 1899, five
shops were designed by Barber Hopkinson for J W Midgley. 1902, and eight shops were
designed by Moore and Crabtree also for Yorks Land Company, 1907. Thus street was
widened in order to create a broad thoroughfare from the Railway Station of 1882.
Listing NGR: SE0637541300
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings