History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Council Offices

A Grade II Listed Building in Keighley, Bradford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8677 / 53°52'3"N

Longitude: -1.9084 / 1°54'30"W

OS Eastings: 406120

OS Northings: 441276

OS Grid: SE061412

Mapcode National: GBR HR3Q.M9

Mapcode Global: WHB7W.N1FT

Entry Name: Council Offices

Listing Date: 22 January 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133997

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338418

Location: Keighley, Bradford, BD21

County: Bradford

Civil Parish: Keighley

Built-Up Area: Keighley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Keighley

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Keighley

Listing Text

KEIGHLEY LAWKHOLME CRESCENT
SE 0641 SW (North West Side)
27/312
Council Offices

II


Council Offices, former School Board Offices. 1893. Designed by James Lechingham
of Bradford. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roof with terracotta
ridge tiles, ashlar coved gables with a gable and 2 wall stacks. Quoins, chamfered
plinths, moulded first floor band and eaves. 2 storey over a high basement. Curved
corner site. 2, 2 light basement windows. Central 3 light cross casement in raised
and moulded ashlar surround with either side single similar 2 light windows. To the
left a doorway with overlight and hood mould and hood and beyond a similar 3 light
window plus an oval window with ornate surround. To the right a tall 4-centred
arched doorway with ashlar pilaster surround and carved frieze, above a double
overlight with panel pilaster surround, a shell hood and flanking ball finials, and
beyond a further 2 light cross casement. Above a 3 light oriel window, with round
headed central light, and 4 part overlight in moulded ashlar pilaster surround
supported on brackets, and topped by a carved frieze, with gabled pediment inscribed
'SCHOOL BOARD OFFICES' and flanking ball finials. Either side single 2 light cross
casements in raised ashlar surrounds with bracket hoods, and to the left a pair of
similar 2 light cross casements above to the right a truncated wall stack with
scroll gabled base inscribed '1893'. To the right a truncated external stack with
bracket corbel and a plain scrolled gable base, beyond a circular window with raised
keystone surround and beyond a further similar 2 light cross casement. The whole
topped by a square slate hung lantern with a pyramidal slate roof.


Listing NGR: SE0612041276

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.