History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Keighley, Bradford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8676 / 53°52'3"N

Longitude: -1.9089 / 1°54'32"W

OS Eastings: 406086

OS Northings: 441264

OS Grid: SE060412

Mapcode National: GBR HR3Q.JB

Mapcode Global: WHB7W.N16W

Entry Name: Town Hall

Listing Date: 4 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1134150

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338095

Location: Keighley, Bradford, BD21

County: Bradford

Civil Parish: Keighley

Built-Up Area: Keighley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Keighley

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Keighley

Listing Text

KEIGHLEY BOW STREET
SE 0641 SW (north side)

27/10 Keighley
Town Hall

- II


Town Hall. Opened 1902. By John Haggas. Ashlar, graduated Westmorland slate
roof. 4 storeys, 3 bays with 4th bay turning corner on left. Plinth. Pilasters
dividing bays. Cornices between each floor. Ground floor: door on right and 3
windows, all round-arched with moulded lintels and keystones. Cill, impost and
lintel bands. Cornice breaks forward over door on corbels and is surmounted by
balustrade. 1st floor: corner bay has oriel window with floriated base and
cornice and balustrade above. 3 segment-headed windows with architraves and bands
as ground floor. 2nd floor: cross-windows, the moulded heads with rounded corners
and panels below decorated in Art Nouveau style. 3rd floor: central Ipswich
window, with decorative panels above and below, flanked by cross-windows. Parapet
with pilasters surmounted by ball and urn finials. Central pediment with town's
coat of arms in panel under scalloped shell. Over corner bay is a blind, round-
arched opening with moulded head, imposts and keystones above which is shaped
pediment with finial. Corniced stacks to ridge and sides. Left return: 3 bays on
right as front. 8 bays to left plainer, of coursed stone, with one- and 2-light
windows with chamfered lintels, flat-faced mullions and projecting cills.
Interior: staircase with Art Nouveau style iron balusters and moulded wooden
handrail and newel. Council chamber has seats, panelled walls with coats of arms,
gallery with panelled front, clock and moulded frieze and ceiling. Work began on
the Town Hall in 1900, it began to be used in 1901 although not opened officially
until 1902 (Kellys Directory). The internal arrangements were by W and J B
Bailey, the carving on the facade by A F Smith (Ibid).


Listing NGR: SE0608641264

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.