History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

55 and 57, Elland Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Elland, Calderdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.688 / 53°41'16"N

Longitude: -1.8244 / 1°49'27"W

OS Eastings: 411695

OS Northings: 421302

OS Grid: SE116213

Mapcode National: GBR HTPS.TN

Mapcode Global: WHC9T.YKFJ

Entry Name: 55 and 57, Elland Lane

Listing Date: 17 October 1975

Last Amended: 6 June 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1134012

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338455

Location: Calderdale, HX5

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Elland

Built-Up Area: Elland

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Elland St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Greetland

Listing Text

ELLAND ELLAND LANE
SE 117213 (north side)

2/31 Nos. 55 and 57
(formerly listed as
17.10.75 Old Earth Farmhouse)

II

House, dated 1700 with stone walls (rendered), stone slate roof, coped gables
with kneelers and finials. 2 storeys. It had a linear plan of 3 cells with an
outshut at the rear. The south front is rendered. The fenestration survives
virtually intact. All windows have recessed, splayed mullions with square
reveals. The central hall window is of 6 lights and is flanked by windows of
5 lights with the same at first floor level. A square section hoodmould runs
over the ground floor windows and rises to include the lintel of the main
doorway. The doorway has chamfered jambs and a four-centred head, and the
lintel has a decorative panel with the initials TB and the date 1700 enclosed
within an oval. The door opens into the housebody at the opposite end to the
fireplace which has a four-centred head and a chamfered surround. The parlour
is at the west end approached through the housebody. The eastern room has a
fireplace on the gable wall contained within an extruded stack. At the rear of
the house is an outshut now garages. Rear appears to be rebuilt mid C20.


Listing NGR: SE1169521302

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.