History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lindley Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Lindley, Kirklees

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6629 / 53°39'46"N

Longitude: -1.8219 / 1°49'18"W

OS Eastings: 411866

OS Northings: 418505

OS Grid: SE118185

Mapcode National: GBR HVQ2.CP

Mapcode Global: WHCB0.Z6L8

Entry Name: Lindley Methodist Church

Listing Date: 29 September 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1134287

English Heritage Legacy ID: 339798

Location: Kirklees, HD3

County: Kirklees

Electoral Ward/Division: Lindley

Built-Up Area: Huddersfield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Birchencliffe St Philip the Apostle

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Lindley

Listing Text

EAST STREET
1.
5113
(North Side)
Lindley
Lindley Methodist Church
SE 1118 20/470
II
2.
1867. Chancel, vestry and "north-east" transept designed by the Manchester
architect Edgar Wood, and built in 1895. Hammer-dressed stone. Pitched slate
roof. Hall church, with "west" transept surmounted by low tower with pyramidal
slate roof and finial on "south" side. 6-bay nave. Buttresses, with gabled
tops at west end. 2 storey "west" end, string at eaves level. 1st floor has
windows with Geometrical bar tracery, 4-light to nave, 2-light to tower:
oculi above each. Ground floor has central 2-centred door with hoodmould,
moulded surround and plate cusps, 2 pointed lancets with Geometrical plate
tracery, and 2 blocked doors either side, with segment-shaped Caernarvon lintels
and 2-centred moulded relieving arches with hoodmoulds. Aisle windows have
transoms and bar tracery. "East" window has late C19 Decorated bar tracery,
and reset, the date stone of the original 1795 church, inscribed (in lettering
characteristic of each period) "The Wesleyan Church. Anno Domini 1795. Re-erected
1867. Chancel 1895".
Edgar Wood had married into the Sykes family of Lindley, whose church this
was.


Listing NGR: SE1186618505

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.