This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7123 / 53°42'44"N
Longitude: -1.9453 / 1°56'43"W
OS Eastings: 403708
OS Northings: 423992
OS Grid: SE037239
Mapcode National: GBR GTVH.NZ
Mapcode Global: WHB8G.2YYF
Entry Name: Swamp Cottage
Listing Date: 19 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134449
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339382
Location: Calderdale, HX6
Electoral Ward/Division: Luddendenfoot
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sowerby St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SOWERBY BRIDGE STYES LANE
SE 0223 & SE 0323
(west side, off)
Water-powered mill, probably with cottage, now all one house. Probably
1805 (date of penny found in roof construction). Coursed, squared millstone
grit, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 lst-floor windows. Quoins. Door
on right has tie-stones. Flat-faced mul1ion windows, on ground floor of
4 and 8 lights (1 light blocked), on lst floor of 2, 4 and 2 lights; many
of the mullions replaced (from elsewhere in the building). Ridge stack
to left of centre. Rear: wheel chamber on left, single-storeyed with gabled
roof replaced by glazed pent roof (tablestones of original roof in wall).
1st floor: above wheel-chamber two 2-light windows and one of 1 light.
Centrel door, now glazed, which formerly led on to bridge across sluice.
To right, a 2-light window. Left return: on right 2 plain-stone-surround
doorways, now glazed. On their left a 2-light window. 4-light window above.
Right return: a 4-light window to ground floor with two 2-light windows
above, all with replaced concrete mullions. Interior: central room has
stone fireplace with deep lintel; same to room above. Cross beams. This
was one of the early textile mills of the area. At the back of the house
is a channel, formerly the sluice; in the garden are the pond, which provided
the head of water, and the overflow channel. The building was converted
to 2 cottages in 1880 (deeds), probably at the time of building a new mill
lower down the hillside (on the mill pond).
Listing NGR: SE0370823992
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings