This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7116 / 53°42'41"N
Longitude: -1.948 / 1°56'52"W
OS Eastings: 403526
OS Northings: 423906
OS Grid: SE035239
Mapcode National: GBR GTVJ.17
Mapcode Global: WHB8G.1ZM0
Entry Name: Boulder Clough Bethel Chapel
Listing Date: 19 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185546
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339347
Location: Calderdale, HX2
Electoral Ward/Division: Luddendenfoot
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sowerby St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SOWERBY BRIDGE SOWERBY LANE
SE 0223 & SE 0323
11/219 Boulder Clough
Methodist chapel. 1897 by Sutcliffe and Sutcliffe of Todmorden. Ashlar,
slate roof. 2 storeys, 7 bays with round towers to end bays in Arts and
Crafts manner. The towers each have 3 bands and a small 3-light window
to ground floor; above are 6 transomed windows, stepped up towards the centre.
of the chapel in line with slope of internal stairs, with elliptical-arched
heads and glazing bars surviving to some lights; conical roofs with finials.
Between the towers is a 4-bay round-arched arcade with short Doric columns
on panelled pedestals, cornices and plinths; the arches are rusticated and
nave keystones from which rise pilasters which support the cornice of the
ramped parapet and ball finials. The parapet is inscribed "BETHEL UNITED
METHODIST CHURCH REBUILT 1897". Behind the arcade is a 4-light chamfered
mullion window flanked by half-glazed moulded doors with glazing bars, moulded
surrounds and sunflower motif to panel on each lintel. On 1st floor, behind
the parapet are mullion and transomed windows of 3 lights flanked by 2 lights,
the top lights elliptical-arched and most retaining glazing bars. The roof
is hipped between towers with finial and to either side, behind towers,
lower and gabled; some crested ridge tiles survive; one stack, behind left
tower in roof slope. Returns have square-headed windows to ground floor,
to 1st floor a round-arched mullion and transomed window with side windows
in style of Venetian window, and a 2-light window to gable. Interior:
contemporary fittings noted in old list description; interior not inspected
at resurvey. A chapel first stood on this site in 1822.
Listing NGR: SE0352623906
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings