This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7059 / 53°42'21"N
Longitude: -1.7303 / 1°43'49"W
OS Eastings: 417900
OS Northings: 423310
OS Grid: SE179233
Mapcode National: GBR JTCL.68
Mapcode Global: WHC9W.D38T
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134588
English Heritage Legacy ID: 340997
Location: Kirklees, WF15
Electoral Ward/Division: Liversedge and Gomersal
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hartsheadst Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 12 SE SPENBOROUGH MB CHURCH LANE
12/1/67 Church of St Peter
Church. Norman tower, south doorway and chancel arch. The rest of
the church is Neo-Norman of 1881. Hammer dressed stone, tower of
coursed rubble, stone slate roof with gable copings. West tower,
3-bay nave and aisles, south porch, 2-bay lower chancel with vestry
wing to north. Single 3-light gabled dormer to north and south pitch
of nave. Triple groups of round arched windows, with hood moulds, to
nave. Triple group east window with engaged colonnettes, hood mould
and zig-zag decoration. A reset stone in the vestry wall is dated
1713, with names of 5 church wardens. South porch has zig-zag and
bead and reel decoration, colonnette in reveals and hood mould with
beak-head stops. The square west tower has slightly corbelled out
crenellated parapet. Bell chamber openings are 2-light, one is
transomed, some round arched. The south doorway and the chancel
arch are the same, with two orders of columns with decorated scallop
capitals and decorated abaci, and much close zig-zag work in the arch.
3-bay arcade to each side. Aisle windows have detached colonnettes.
Font of 1881 on Norman base. Carved oak Holy Table, now in south
chapel, was given by Sir John Armytage of Kirklees in 1708. C.17
candelabrum, in nave, from Hartshead Hall. Armytage family crypt
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1979.
Listing NGR: SE1790023310
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings