History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boston Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Boston Spa, Leeds

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9069 / 53°54'24"N

Longitude: -1.3578 / 1°21'28"W

OS Eastings: 442286

OS Northings: 445825

OS Grid: SE422458

Mapcode National: GBR LRY8.T7

Mapcode Global: WHDB7.32P8

Entry Name: Boston Lodge

Listing Date: 2 September 1952

Last Amended: 8 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135079

English Heritage Legacy ID: 341957

Location: Boston Spa, Leeds, LS23

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Boston Spa

Built-Up Area: Boston Spa

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Lower Wharfe

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Wetherby

Listing Text


SE 4245-4345 BOSTON SPA HIGH STREET
LS23 (south side)

6/37 No 42 (Boston Lodge)
2.9.52 (Formerly listed as Nos
42 and 42A)

GV II

Large house now office premises. Late C18 with later C19 additions. Ashlar
magnesian limestone, stone slate roofs. 2 storeys, 2:3:2 bays, the outer
bays set back; raised 3-storey rear wing to left of centre. Plinth. Centre
has stone steps to wide 6-panel door and fanlight with radial glazing bars
flanked by pilasters of a Doric, sandstone porch with fluted frieze and
dentilled cornice; above is a sash with glazing bars in flush wooden
architrave on projecting stone sill and beneath flat arch. Flanking bays
have original 2-storey canted bay-windows with projecting sills to sashes
with glazing bars and concealed lintels. Side wings: 4-pane sashes beneath
sashes with glazing bars. Dentilled eaves cornice. Centre has hipped bay-
window roofs and ashlar gable copings with rendered end stacks. Side-wing
roofs have hipped ends with late-C19 stone end stack to left; rendered stack
at left hip and similar stack beyond right hip. Adjoining left wing is a
Gothic Revival doorway with carved fruit and ball finial over. Rear: white-
brick, 2-storey porch with moulded round arch and keystone with heraldic
device and motto 'Vincent qui se Vincent'. Wing on right has white-brick top
storey and stone inscribed 'M.C.V. 1895 E. M. V'. Left return: side wing is
of rock-faced stone with date 1885 over lst-floor window. Right return: bay
window on left of French window under dentilled cornice; two 16-pane sashes
to 1st floor.


Listing NGR: SE4228645825

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.