This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6913 / 53°41'28"N
Longitude: -1.3116 / 1°18'41"W
OS Eastings: 445555
OS Northings: 421870
OS Grid: SE455218
Mapcode National: GBR MT8R.VH
Mapcode Global: WHDC6.THM1
Entry Name: Market Cross and Attached Pump
Listing Date: 29 July 1950
Last Amended: 15 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135455
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342668
Location: Wakefield, WF8
Electoral Ward/Division: Pontefract North
Built-Up Area: Pontefract
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Pontefract St Giles with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
PONTEFRACT MARKET PLACE
SE 4521 NE
8/29 Market Cross and attached
pump (formerly listed as
29.7.50 Market Cross)
Market building with attached pump. 1734, built for Elizabeth Dupier; mid-C18 pump.
Ashlar with stone slate roof. Rectangular on plan, tall single storey, 3 x 1 bays.
Building rests on a shallow podium and has a raised floor. Plinth. Rusticated
stonework below impost level of main openings. End elevations have tall central
semi-circular-headed arch with moulded archivolt, raised keystone and wide impost
band flanked by low semi-circular-headed arches with radiating rusticated voussoirs
and large impost blocks. Above the impost band to either side of central arch are
semi-circular-headed niches with moulded sills, pilastered jambs and keyed archi- jambs and keyed archi-
volts. Between them to south-east side is a plaque in moulded surround inscribed
'Erected by Mrs Elizabeth Dupeer, Relict of Solomon Dupeer, Gent, in a cheerful and
generous compliance with his benevolent intention. Ano Domi 1734'. Wide moulded
cornice. Hipped roof. Main side elevations have 3 tall semi-circular-headed arches,
similar to central arch of end elevations, plus similar cornice above. Interior of
arches are similarly treated, walls and ceiling are plastered and the floor is
flagged. To centre is an original long plank bench on paired turned wooden legs.
Pump attached to south-west side of the building has lead casing with raised foliage
decoration, now mostly obscured by later wooden casing. Originally the building had
a flat roof and a. stone balustrade, replaced by the present pitched roof in 1763. D
Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture (1978), p. 313.
Listing NGR: SE4555521870
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings