This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8753 / 53°52'31"N
Longitude: -1.359 / 1°21'32"W
OS Eastings: 442243
OS Northings: 442310
OS Grid: SE422423
Mapcode National: GBR LRYM.LK
Mapcode Global: WHDB7.3V4H
Entry Name: Bramham Biggin
Listing Date: 30 March 1966
Last Amended: 3 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135632
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342183
Location: Bramham cum Oglethorpe, Leeds, LS23
Civil Parish: Bramham cum Oglethorpe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lower Wharfe
Church of England Diocese: York
BRAMHAM CUM OGLETHORPE BRAMHAM
1/22 Bramham Biggin
30.3.66 (Formerly listed as
Large house. C17, altered 1750-56 by James Paine, for Allison. Mostly dressed
magnesian limestone, with some coursed rubble, stone slate roof. H-plan. Two-
and-a-half storeys, symmetrical; plinth, quoins, moulded dripcourses on 2 levels,
carried round the whole; set-back centre has central double doors with architrave
and consoles supporting a pediment which breaks the dripcourse, two 12-pane sashes
at ground floor and 2 above, a Diocletian window at 2nd floor (all these with
plain surrounds), a hoodmould to a former mullioned window in the gable, gable
coping with kneelers and finial; C18 rainwater head in each angle, narrow diagonal
stairlight on each floor of right-hand angle. Gable of each wing has one window
on each floor: ground-floor Venetian window breaking the dripcourse, 12- and
9-pane windows above, those in the right wing sashed but those in the left all
glazed but blocked internally by a chimney stack which rises to break through
the gable coping off-centre; otherwise, each gable has a hoodmould like that
in the centre, gable coping with kneelers, and finial (to right-hand gable).
Most of these windows break the remains of former cross windows, and there are
similar remains in both re-entrant walls. Return wall of left wing, 6 bays,
has windows like those at front, but with single-storey semicircular bay windows
to 1st and 4th, with parapet, 12-pane sashes in the 2nd and 3rd bays, and at
2nd floor a Diocletian window in the centre and a small sash in each outer bay.
Rear: inter alia a cross window at 2nd floor of rear gable of right wing,
suggesting original form of other fenestration before C18 alterations. Interior:
altered, the present principal feature of interest being the 2-storey entrance
hall with C18 staircase (open string, scrolled brackets, 2 slim turned balusters
per tread, panelled newels and ramped handrail); and stone flagged floor.
History: was used as school during C19, with additions (now demolished) and
alterations. References: RCHM Rural Houses of West Yorkshire 1400-1830 1986)
p. 96. Derek Linstrum West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture (1978) p.362.
Listing NGR: SE4224342310
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings