History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bowcliffe Hall and Attached Screen Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Bramham cum Oglethorpe, Leeds

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8747 / 53°52'28"N

Longitude: -1.3551 / 1°21'18"W

OS Eastings: 442496

OS Northings: 442249

OS Grid: SE424422

Mapcode National: GBR LRZM.FR

Mapcode Global: WHDB7.4VZY

Entry Name: Bowcliffe Hall and Attached Screen Walls

Listing Date: 30 March 1966

Last Amended: 3 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135644

English Heritage Legacy ID: 342205

Location: Bramham cum Oglethorpe, Leeds, LS23

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Bramham cum Oglethorpe

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Lower Wharfe

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Bramham

Listing Text

BRAMHAM CUM OGLETHORPE GREAT NORTH ROAD
SE44SW
LS23 (west side, off)
1/44 Bowcliffe Hall and
30.3.66
attached screen
walls (Formerly listed
as Bowcliffe Hall)

II

Mansion, now offices,and attached screen walls. Circa 1805 for William Robinson,
completed c.1825 for John Smyth, subsequently altered and enlarged for Lane
Fox family (of Bramham Park, q.v.). Magnesian limestone ashlar, slate roof.
Long rectangular double-pile plan. Two and 3 storeys, 15 x 3 bays, in classical
style; symmetrical tripartite composition with 2-storey 5-bay centre flanked
by 5-bay wings of 2 lower storeys (but 2nd storey added to left wing), each
element itself symmetrical. Centre block has 3-bay pedimented centre breaking
forwards slightly, Tuscan porch protecting panelled door with semicircular
fanlight, and above the porch a tripartite window with Ionic architrave including
an apron with blind balustrade and segmental pediment breaking the modillioned
cornice of the major pediment above; sillbands to both floors, 12-pane sashed
windows, modillioned cornice and low parapets to the outer bays. The wings
are slightly set back, each has a slightly-projected 3-bay centre, the centre
of which has a coved niche containing a statue at ground floor and an oculus
above; a sillband and four 12-pane sashes at ground floor, 4 square 6-pane
sashes at 1st floor, a moulded cornice and low parapet (stepped up over the
projected centre); right wing has an urn on the centre of the parapet; left
wing has an added 2nd storey in matching style, with 12-pane sashes; low-pitched
hipped roofs with ridge chimneys. Attached to the outer end of each wing,
a quadrant screen wall with a doorway. Return walls and rear in similar style.
Interior: contains entrance hall and imperial staircase with Ionic screen at
ground floor and Corinthian screen at 1st floor. History: William Robinson,
the 1st builder, was a Manchester cotton spinner, became bankrupt and completed
only the right (west) wing; building completed by John Smyth; in later C19
purchased and enlarged by Lane Fox family as residence during dereliction and
repair of Bramham Park (q.v.); in C20 was home of Robert Blackburn, founder
of Blackburn Aircraft Company.


Listing NGR: SE4249642249

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.