History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Cholmondeley, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0602 / 53°3'36"N

Longitude: -2.6792 / 2°40'45"W

OS Eastings: 354576

OS Northings: 351658

OS Grid: SJ545516

Mapcode National: GBR 7L.C9Q4

Mapcode Global: WH893.TBCT

Entry Name: The Old Hall

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135851

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56894

Location: Cholmondeley, Cheshire East, SY14

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Cholmondeley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Bickley St Wenefrede

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Bickley

Listing Text

c
SJ 55 SW CHOLMONDELEY C.P. CHOLMONDELEY PARK


1/24 The Old Hall

12.1.67

GV II

House, circa 1707 by William Smith of Warwick for the first Earl of
Cholmondeley. The Hall incorporated an Elizabethan building but in
1801 the structure was reduced to the size of the present dwelling.
Whitened brick with slate roof. 2 storeys 3 bays with one-bay, lower,
2-storey wing to east. The central entrance is a rebated 6-panel door
in a moulded doorcase with plain rectangular overlight. The opening
is flanked by engaged Roman Doric columns, without bases, which
support a gabled, slated, hood by means of brackets fixed to the
column faces. Projecting brick bands at first floor and eaves levels.
Large recessed sashes with glazing bars, stone sills and segmental
stone heads at ground floor and with stone eared architraves and flat
heads at first floor. The opening over the entrance is filled. The
east wing has two-light flush casements with stone sills and segmental
heads. The west gable has a filled lunette above a partly filled
opening with eared architraves. The north front has 2-bay gable set
forward with pairs of sashes under segmental heads, and sashes with
eared architraves at first floor . Stone band at first floor and brick
eaves band with filled lunette in the gable.
Interior: Panelled window shutters and door linings. Six-panel
doors, some with fielded panels.

The Old Hall at its full extent is illustrated in Country Life 19 July
1973


Listing NGR: SJ5457451660

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.