History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cholmondeley Castle

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cholmondeley, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0573 / 53°3'26"N

Longitude: -2.693 / 2°41'34"W

OS Eastings: 353651

OS Northings: 351343

OS Grid: SJ536513

Mapcode National: GBR 7L.CDC3

Mapcode Global: WH893.LFV1

Entry Name: Cholmondeley Castle

Listing Date: 10 June 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135794

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56882

Location: Cholmondeley, Cheshire East, SY14

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Cholmondeley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Bickley St Wenefrede

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Bickley

Listing Text

SJ 55 SW CHOLMONDELEY C.P. CHOLMONDELEY PARK


1/12 Cholmondeley Castle
10.6.52
GV II*

Mansion, 1801-4 by the first Marquis of Cholmondeley (with William
Turner of Whitchurch) but in 1817-19 Robert Smirke added a number of
towers and turrets and gave the building its present castle-like
appearance. Sandstone with lead and slate roof. Mainly 3 storeys and
basement with towers a little higher. The Entrance Front (West) has
3-bay wings which flank a 3 bay single storey loggia. There is also a
3-bay south-west tower wing. The wings have "Y" tracery windows with
splayed reveals and flush Gothick arches with keystones. The loggia
has pairs of lights with intersecting glazing bars in window openings
with almost circular heads. The "Y" tracery of the upper windows of
the Entrance Hall shows above the flat roof of the Loggia, with
intersecting glazing bars in the lights. The south-west section has a
square tower with windows, with intersecting glazing bars, at five
levels. This is linked to a slender octagonal turret, with arrow
slits, by a wall with blank openings. The Garden Front (east) has
north-east and south-east corner turrets and a large canted bay window
which continues upward as a half tower. The section left (south) of
the bay window is 2 storeys and 3 bays with cusped trefoil heads to
"Y" tracery windows. The 3-storey bay has French windows giving
access to the garden down eight steps. A 2-storey, 2-bay section with
"Y" tracery windows follows north and the slightly set forward, 3-bay,
Smirke service wing, with its north turret, completes the facade. All
main walls have wide projecting moulded cornices and crenellated
parapets. Towers and turrets have machicolations. Slated sections of
the roof have lead hips.
Interior: Access to the square 2-storey Entrance Hall is via the
Loggia through a pair of five panel doors flanked by sashes with
Gothick heads, "Y" tracery and intersecting glazing bars . The side
walls have triple blind arcades in wood panelling and the ceiling has
four inclined (hipped) surfaces. Opposite the entrance an open arcade
forms a passage running north to south and gives access to the
ante-room which has the large canted bay with full height "Y" tracery
windows containing pairs of French windows. This room has large
ten-panel doors in north and south walls and a matching double door
into the Entrance Hall passage. There is a simple dentil cornice.
The Dining Room is north of the Ante-room, approached through doors at
both sides of a panelled reveal which indicates the great thickness of
the wall. Here there is a marble mantel, a cornice of gilded fruit
and leaves with ceiling rosettes and a large ceiling rose with
chandelier. The Drawing Room, south of the Ante-room and again
through doors both sides of the wall, has a cornice of arrows pointing
down, in Lombard Frieze form, and a large ceiling rose with
chandelier. The Staircase Hall, off the Drawing Room, features the
Robert Bakewell balustrade to stairs and landing removed from the Old
Hall. This is fixed to an open-well staircase of black marble and has
a rosewood handrail . The stair-well has a lantern-light in a timber
ceiling with bracketted, coved cornice . The Nursery Wing (south) is
off the Staircase Hall, approached through a pair of four-panel
Gothick headed doors. This has six-panelled doors with wide panelled
linings. The Library, also at the south side of the house, has the
Lombard frieze style of cornice of arrows pointing downwards. A
building which has accepted the attempt to turn it into a castle but
still retains the character of the original Gothick Mansion.
Gervase Jackson-Stops in Country Life, 26 July 1973.


Listing NGR: SJ5365151343

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.