History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dower House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Filton, South Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4929 / 51°29'34"N

Longitude: -2.5454 / 2°32'43"W

OS Eastings: 362233

OS Northings: 177251

OS Grid: ST622772

Mapcode National: GBR CM3.5N

Mapcode Global: VH88G.TQQW

Entry Name: Dower House

Listing Date: 26 June 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136240

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35041

Location: Stoke Gifford, South Gloucestershire, BS16

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Stoke Gifford

Built-Up Area: Filton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Stoke Gifford

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text

ST 67 NW STOKE GIFFORD STOKE PARK

4/14 Dower House

G.V. II*

Country house, now hospital. Circa 1760, may include elements of C16 manor
house, altered c.1800. James Paty, perhaps following Thomas Wright of Durham.
Roughcast, coped and battlemented parapets. H-plan. South elevation, 3 storeys,
5 windows in centre, 3 in wings which terminate in canted bays, windows altered,
mainly to glazing bar sashes, between wings, ground floor only comes forward with
glazed colonnade under pierced battlements, plat and cill bands between ground and
first floors. Return elevation west has 6 very plain and altered bays, middle
3 recessed, ground floor retains 3 original glazing bar sashes, battlemented
parapet. Return elevation east: 7 very plain bays, all glazing bar sashes under
keystones, plat and cill bands, battlements. North (entrance) elevation; as
south with Gothic porch of c.1800, painted Berkeley motto 'Mihi Vobisque'and 2
C20 fire escapes. Interior: 3 rooms with plasterwork attributed to Thomas
Stocking remain: east corner room has a screen of Doric columns, entablature has
masks, ox-skulls and trophies, the ceiling has a central feature of 4 Bacchanalion
figures, around this, a band is crossed and surrounded by roses, this motif is
expanded in the bay where there is an elaborate flower basket; the central
eastern room was formerly a music room, the delicate ceiling includes violin,
pipes of Pan and a recorder; the south octagonal room has a complete suite of
moulded and fielded panelled doors with eared architraves, shutters and reveals
and a bolection moulded fireplace with floral swags; the large cantilevered open
well staircase has a heavily moulded handrail and thin turned balusters, early C19
plasterwork has Greek key roundel. Built for Norborne Berkeley, the house passed
at his death in 1770 to the Beauforts and was the dower house to Badminton until
1907. (Atkyns, History of Gloucestershire, 1712: J. Jancar, Research at Stoke
Park, 1981: D. Verey, Buildings of England : Gloucestershire, The Vale and the
Forest of Dean, 1970).


Listing NGR: ST6223377251

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.