This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.491 / 50°29'27"N
Longitude: -4.3218 / 4°19'18"W
OS Eastings: 235406
OS Northings: 68257
OS Grid: SX354682
Mapcode National: GBR NM.LKQ5
Mapcode Global: FRA 17VR.L4R
Entry Name: Pencrebar House
Listing Date: 26 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136279
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61212
Location: Callington, Cornwall, PL17
Civil Parish: Callington
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Callington
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 36 NE CALLINGTON
8/11 Pencrebar House
House, 1849, for William David Horndon. Stuccoed with moulded granite plinth and
moulded strings above ground floor and first floor. Slate roof with triple gable
projections on south, double gable on west and gable ends on north. Rendered axial
stachs. Main range in 'U' shape plan with shallow projecting wings on north. Wing
to north east extended circa 1860s and 'L' shape outbuildings erected to north and
west, adjoining projecting wings, to form courtyard plan. Gothic style.
South Garden front asymmetrical although regular. 2 storeys, attic and cellar.
Triple gable 3 window front. Left-hand side with bay window projection continued
from ground floor to above first floor. Canted bay window with ovolo-moulded mullion
and transom windows. To right, 2 6-light ovolo-moulded and transom windows. First
floor with similar, slightly shorter window. In gabled projections, 2 4-light cross
windows with a 6-light similar window on the right. '1849' in rainwater hood on left
and 'WDH' on right. Left, west elevation, asymmetrical 4 window front. Left-hand
side set back with corbelled stack projections between 2 ground floor and 2 first
floor ovolo-moulded cross windows. To right, entrance near centre of elevation.
Pointed arch with double panelled doors. W and H in spandrels with separate shields
and ribbons. Above ovolo-moulded cross window with small slit above in gable end.
To right, WDH in rainwater hood. Canted and window with moulded base. String above
rises over window to form hoodmould. Ovolo-moulded cross window above in gable end.
Entrance in east with granite surround to Tudor arch. Courtyard buildings; single
storey, stone rubble with slate roof.
Interior; many of chimney pieces removed. Open well staircase with closed string.
Open screen of square piers to upper landing.
Built on site of Mansion of Crebar. In 1926 the house was sold to Isaac Foot and was
the home of the Foot family until 1960.
Listing NGR: SX3540668257
Other nearby listed buildings