This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2118 / 50°12'42"N
Longitude: -5.1651 / 5°9'54"W
OS Eastings: 174277
OS Northings: 39436
OS Grid: SW742394
Mapcode National: GBR Z7.DND1
Mapcode Global: FRA 082G.FMK
Entry Name: The Copper House and Walls Adjoining
Listing Date: 3 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136459
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63207
Location: Gwennap, Cornwall, TR16
Civil Parish: Gwennap
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Gwennap
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NW
6/109 The Copper House and walls
Small country house with adjoining garden walls, walls adjoining. Built as estate
office and account house circa 1810 and extended early C19. Granite ashlar front,
otherwise rubble. Hipped dry Delabole slate roof with central valley to main block
and hipped scantle slate roofs to wings. Brick chimneys over side walls. Double-
depth plan with principal room on either side of central stair with service or
secondary rooms behind, later single-storey 1-room wings at either end, and service
wig at centre rear, forming an overall;symmetrical plan. Symmetrical and unaltered
5-window east front with flanking slightly recessed 1-window wings of slightly later
date with original 16-pane sashes. Central part has all original 12-pane hornless
sashes with much original crown glass. Plinth. Shallow brick arches with projecting
keystones. Central doorway with original wooden porch with paired pilasters and
simple entablature. Original 6-panel door. Sides and rear are also original and
little altered. Cast iron ogee gutters.
Interior has original dog-leg stair with stick balusters and mahogany handrail over
turned newel. Original window shutters, doors and door surrounds with moulded
architraves with roundels in corner blocks. Right-hand (north) front room has
panelled ceiling cornice.
An unusually complete and unaltered house both internally and externally.
Listing NGR: SW7427739436
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings