History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East End Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Nailsea, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4263 / 51°25'34"N

Longitude: -2.7464 / 2°44'47"W

OS Eastings: 348199

OS Northings: 169961

OS Grid: ST481699

Mapcode National: GBR JJ.P7WD

Mapcode Global: VH88R.BDXY

Entry Name: East End Farmhouse

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136927

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33744

Location: Nailsea, North Somerset, BS48

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Nailsea

Built-Up Area: Nailsea

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Nailsea

Listing Text

NAILSEA C.P. TRENDLEWOOD WAY (east side)
ST 46 NE
6/81 East End Farmhouse
13.10.52
- II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated TIE/1665, with later alterations and additions.
Rubble, rendered, pantiled roof with raised coped verges and ridge and gable
stacks with paired diagonal chimneys. Irregular plan with front and rear wing
to right, forming T-plan. 2 storeys and 2 windows, ground floor has 4-light
casement with ovolo mullions to left and 2-light to right, two 3-light casements
with ovolo mullions at first floor, central gabled porch with benches to sides
and moulded frame to plain door; 2-storey wing to right has fine studded door to
left with raised moulded fillets, ovolo-moulded and stopped frame, 2 hood moulds
remaining above, 2-light casement with ovolo mullion under eaves. Attached to
right, former stable has 2 doors with strap hinges, originally single storey,
former roof line visible at gable end, 2 C20 windows at first floor, slightly
lower roof line, front not rendered with C20 external stair and upper door.
Right return has 2 first floor C20 windows in former stable, in wing a 3-light
casement with ovolo mullions at first floor and 2-light casement under eaves;
gable end of main range has C20 window at ground, first and attic level; lower
2-storey rear wing has 2 C20 windows at ground and first floor, single storey
lean-to attached to rear right. Left return has slight batter to wall and small
2-light casement at attic level. Rear of main range has C20 French window,
1/2-glazed door (probably rear of through passage) and 4-light casement with replaced
ovolo mullions; first floor has 2 C20 3-light casements; inner side of rear
wing has 3-light casement at ground floor and two 2-light casements at first
floor, lean-to to left with open front. Interior: 2 inglenook fireplaces,
2 original winder stairs and through passage plan. Planked and moulded doors
retain latches and several patterns of strap hinges; ground floor left room has
fine central decorative ceiling plasterwork, room above has larger similar
plasterwork, dated 1671, and decorative plaster frieze.


Listing NGR: ST4819969961

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.