This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3839 / 50°23'2"N
Longitude: -4.5598 / 4°33'35"W
OS Eastings: 218115
OS Northings: 56911
OS Grid: SX181569
Mapcode National: GBR N9.T4LM
Mapcode Global: FRA 18B1.3DB
Entry Name: Church of St Manarck and St Dunstan
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136993
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60545
Location: Lanreath, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Lanreath
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanreath
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 15 NE LANREATH LANREATH
7/43 Church of St Manarck
and St Dunstan
Parish Church of Norman origins. Early remains in north transept and north
wall of nave. Evidence of part rebuilding of north wall of nave circa C15 indicated
in north-west corner of north transept. West tower circa early C15 and south aisle
added circa late C15. South porch circa C16. Chancel rebuilt in 1721. North
transept and south chancel patronised by Lords of Manors of Lanreath and Botlet.
(qv Court Barton and Botelet Cottage). Restored by Bodley in 1887.
Coursed stone to tower with plinth and granite string. Coursed stone in south
aisle and south porch with differing plinth to tower. Rubble stone chancel, north
transept and nave. Slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one with continuous roof. 5-
bay south aisle not quite full length of nave.
East window C19 5-light Perpendicular tracery under 2-centred arch. C19 4-
light window under rectangular hood to north of chancel. 2-light, foiled,
rectangular window in east of north transept partly recarved and reset. North
window of north transept 3-light window with rounded heads under 3-centred arch,
restored and reset. Pointed relieving arch above. Two 4-light Perpendicular
windows under 4-centred arches to nave with blocked north door. C19 chimney with
octagonal stack. South aisle: east window, 4-light Perpendicular tracery under 4-
centred arch; west window 3-light Perpendicular under wide 2-centred arch with hood
and drips. 3-light window to west of porch in 4-centred arch with tracery, partly
replaced and 3 wide 2-centred arches to east of porch with late reticulated tracery.
Hoods and drips. South door low with wide 2-centred arch with chamfered jambs.
Gabled south porch with slate roof and 4-centred arch. Sundial at angle above,
1828. Above south door, empty niche under 3-centred arch with 2 corbelled brackets
for saints flanking. 4-centred granite arch to south door with roll moulded frame
and rectangular surround with incised spandrels. Pointed panelled timber door.
West tower of 3 stages with thin set-back buttresses. Battlemented with
crocketted finials on octagonal pinnacles. Moulded granite strings. Granite west
door in rectangular surround with plain hood, wide 2-centred arch with quatrefoils
in spandrels and roll mould. Similar mouldings to type A piers (Pevsner) used for
arcade. West window above of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery under 4-centred
arch. Partly recarved. 2-light bell opening under pointed arches.
Interior: 5-bay arcade to south aisle with type A (Pevsner) granite piers with
tall moulded bases and carved engaged octagonal capitals. 4-centred granite arches.
Original waggon roofs to porch, nave, chancel, south aisle and north transept.
Unusual star shaped bosses to nave. South aisle roof boarded and painted with
initials IHS in roundels. Roof to north transept restored.
Tower arch almost horse-shoe and heavily moulded. Almost same height as waggon
roof. Floor beams in belfry chamfered and stopped.
Nave and south aisle largely reseated. Bench ends to east benches on south
aisle circa early C17. At east end of nave in crossing, 2 oak stalls, decorated
with heraldic shields of Gryles and Beres families and with carved bearded heads
circa C16. Incorporated into later work.
Chancel choir stalls with similar heraldic shields and figures with renaissance
type foliage and fleurs de lis. Benches in Lady Chapel partly recarved. Also with
Rood screen restored by T R Kitsell in 1905. Of 10 bays continuing across
chancel and south aisle. Open Perpendicular tracery of 4 lights per bay on panelled
carved base. Remains of painted figures of saints, c1520 (Pevsner) in south aisle.
Top decorated with carved foliage with renewed coping. Rood screen stairs in north
transept east wall.
Norman carved font of Catacleuse stone. Cup shaped bowl decorated with
palmettes on round base with platted rope band around waist. Elaborate zig-zag
decoration on base. Carved oak cover, C17. Octagonal and decorated with carved
renaissance stylised foliage.
Monuments; on south wall of chancel monument to Charles Gryles died 1611 and
wife and eight sons and daughters. Erected by John Gryles in 1623. Painted timber
imitating stonework. Base with atlantes at corners. Kneeling figures of Charles
Gryles and wife above flanking inscription and heraldic arms. Corinthian capitals
supporting entablature with heraldic arms, cherubs and cartouches.
Monument on south wall of Lady Chapel above south door. Recently repainted.
In memory of John Gryles, died 1649 and Lady Grace his wide, died 1653. Erected in
1666 and repaired in 1794. Inscription around frame and in roundels. Heraldic arms
in centre surmounted by hedgehog.
Commandments, Creed and Lord's Prayer on painted boards in chancel. Letter
from Charles Rex to Cornish on south aisle. Painted Royal arms, 1660 CR. On board
on north wall of nave painted board with Prince of Wales feathers and inscription
16 35 ich dien
Glass in chancel north window erected in 1884 in memory of Rector Richard
Font recorded in F A Paley Illustrations of Baptismal Fonts 1844.
C Henderson The Cornish Church Guide, 1925 rp.1964
Kellys Directory of Cornwall, 1889.
N Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition 1970.
Listing NGR: SX1795157066
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings