This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3829 / 50°22'58"N
Longitude: -4.5591 / 4°33'32"W
OS Eastings: 218156
OS Northings: 56795
OS Grid: SX181567
Mapcode National: GBR N9.TBRC
Mapcode Global: FRA 18B1.3NG
Entry Name: Court Barton Farmhouse
Listing Date: 27 August 1952
Last Amended: 30 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137024
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60547
Location: Lanreath, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Lanreath
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanreath
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 15 NE LANREATH LANREATH
7/44 Court Barton Farmhouse
(previously listed as Court)
Farmhouse. Circa 1612 with later C17 wing to rear. Restored in 1899. Stone rubble
with granite dressings. Rendered south-west gable end. Slate roof with gabled
ends. Stone rubble stacks, 3 with moulded granite caps. Plan of original range, 2
rooms with axial stack (to former service rooms at lower end, right) which backs
onto through-passage near centre with 2 storey gabled porch at front. Gable end
stack and rear lateral stack to former hall at higher end left of through-passage.
These 3 stacks have moulded granite caps. 2 rear wings forming U-shaped plan.
Short wing at rear of former kitchen and service rooms, containing staircase, and
extended further with gable end. Later C17 wing to rear of former hall, containing
later kitchen interior remodelled in late C19 and with gabled 2 storey porch on
outer (east) side.
2 storeys. Regular, 3-window range to front. Central gabled 2 storey porch with 4-
centred arch with roll mould. Rectangular surround with hood moulds and drips and
carved trefoils in spandrels. Inner door with wide 2-centred arch with roll mould.
Rectangular frame with cavetto moulded jambs. Fenestration on left of porch higher
than that on right. Window on ground floor of left-hand side partly restored with
6-light mullioned window with chamfered King mullions dividing the diamond leaded
lights into pairs. Other mullions with cavetto mouldings. Hood mould and drips.
To right of porch, ground floor 6-light mullioned window with chamfered King
mullions. Hood mould and drips. Diamond leaded lights. Above, to left of porch,
partly restored, 4-light mullioned window with central chamfered King mullion and
diamond leads. Hood and drips. To right of porch wide 2-light mullion window
(central King mullion) with diamond leads. Hood and drips. On first floor of porch
2-light mullioned window with chamfered jambs and diamond leads, hoods and drips.
Narrow 1-light window in right-hand side.
East rear wing, north-east elevation with 2 storey porch supported by 2 large
round granite columns with round capitals and bases and square plinth with double 2-
light mullioned window with 2-light mullions on sides. Below porch, 3-centred
chamfered arch with 2-light mullioned window to left and above. To right of porch,
2-light mullion windows on ground and first floor and 3-light mullion windows to
left on ground and first floor.
South-west elevations of west wing with scattered fenestration with four 2-
light mullion windows, including a restored (C19) window on the ground floor.
South-east gable ends of 2 wings with blocked entrance in left-hand wing and
large projecting stepped stack on right-hand wing. Courtyard enclosed by rubble
wall linking 2 rear wings with reused 3-centred chamfered arch. Rear of main range
has elliptical arch to rear of cross passage with 2-light mullion window and 3-light
mullion window above.
Short rear projecting wing under gable roof on south has chamfered corner and
2-light mullion windows on ground and first floor. Cellar to south-east with lower
eaves and 3-centred chamfered arched opening on right. 3-square windows with
granite surrounds renewed.
Rear wall of kitchen wing partly rebuilt with slight projection to base of
stack. 3-centred chamfered arch on ground floor. Scattered fenestration with three
2-light mullion windows.
Interior: through passage and floor of porch with pebbled floor. Step up to room on
left, probably originally the hall. Large granite fireplace on south-east wall with
granite shallow elliptical arch with granite lintel with moulded triangle above,
cavetto moulded jambs. On right of through passage, 2 wide doorways with moulded
timber frames. Wide framed staircase to rear. C17 parlour on first floor partly
restored in 1899. Fireplace with restored 4-centred granite arch flanked by
elaborate carved oak herms supporting a decoratively carved overmantle with
lunettes, 3 round arches with carved pilasters and decorated spandrels with
elaborate heraldic shields within the arches. C17 oak panelling continues around
the room, divided by Ionic pilasters and surmounted by elaborately carved panels
with rectangular surrounds enclosing decorated round arches on carved pilasters.
Frieze continuing around room has floral trail with heraldic shields of the Grylls
family. Panels flanking the 2 mullion windows with herms and elaborate carving. 6
panel door with heraldic arms and 'C S 1879'. Later timber band at cornice level
and plain ceiling. Upper rooms and roof space not inspected. Originally the seat
of the Grylls. Monuments to Grylls family in Lanreath Church (qv Lanreath Church).
Source: Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1889. H. Lander House and Cottage Interiors,
1982, illustrations pp 51, 92
Listing NGR: SX1795157066
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings