This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.5737 / 54°34'25"N
Longitude: -3.5741 / 3°34'26"W
OS Eastings: 298342
OS Northings: 520970
OS Grid: NX983209
Mapcode National: GBR 3HHK.07
Mapcode Global: WH5Z2.29BK
Entry Name: Moresby Hall
Listing Date: 9 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137268
English Heritage Legacy ID: 76148
Location: Parton, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28
Civil Parish: Parton
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Moresby St Bridget
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NX 92 SE PARTON
1/50 Moresby Hall
The description shall be amended to read:
Large house. Overall courtyard plan.
Date and development. 3 main building phases.
(i) Late medieval, built for the Moresby family which died out in the male
line in 1499, and possibly incorporating a tower to the NW with a hall range
attached to the E. There is insufficient evidence to reconstruct the medieval
(ii) Late C16/early C17, built for the Fletcher family who bought the estate
in 1576; this phase involved a radical remodelling of the older house with
associated refenestration and re-roofing, and the principal dating features
are the double-chamfered windows under hood moulds. The house had definitely
assumed a courtyard plan by this phase.
(iii) Late C17 (c.1670-90), the remodelling of the S range (heightened and
re-fronted with rusticated ashlar), again for the Fletcher family possibly
to designs by William Thackery or Edward Addison.
C18 and C19 modifications.
Materials. Almost all concealed by rendering, but mainly either random rubble
or snecked ashlar sandstone; graduated slate gable-end roofs.
Exterior: S elevation (phase 3). Symmetrical 7 bay front, 2½ storeys, rusticated
throughout. Cornice carries blocking course with pilasters. Central studded
door in round headed rusticated surround with Fletcher coat of arms in open
segmental pediment supported by pilasters which are 'crossed by bands, tied,
as it were, to them by lozenge shaped nails', an unusual motif found also at
Catterlen hall, newton Reigny, Cumbria. All windows of 2-light with diamond
leaded panes, with stone mullions and architraves; ground floor windows have
single transoms; 1st floor windows (to be piano nobile) have 2 transoms and
pediments (alternately triangular and segmental) with a more ornate surround
with brackets to the central window which stands on the doorway pediment.
E. elevation (phases 2 and 3). The gable ends of the N and S ranges flank
the kitchen range which has a much lower roof line; dominating the elevation
is the massive random rubble external kitchen stack with 4 pairs of set-offs
and a small (later) brick shaft. S range E end, symmetrical, 2 windows to
1st and 2nd floors (blocked, see interior) and one to upper (attic) storey
all of a date with the S front windows, and identical in size to them, nut
without the pediment. Straddling the line between front and kitchen ranges
is a small 2-light 1st floor window with double-chamfered surround and diamond
leading (and which, being phase 2, establishes that the C16/17 house was a
courtyard plan: see internal newel in addition). Other windows scattered;
2 with C19 2-pane sashes, another single-light window with C18 12-pane metal
casement and lift-off hinges. E end of N range (with C19 internal stack) has
corbelled projecting garderobe serving the upper storey, its roof flush with
the N. slope of the main roof. Blocked 4-light 1st floor window, with stone
mullions and single transom under a hoodmould (phase 2). Ground-floor sash
window. Attached outbuildings of no special interest.
N. elevation (phases 1 and 2, re-fenestrated C19). 3 window range (2-pane
sashes with plain surrounds) might mark the site of the original hall range
much modified in the C16/17 (see courtyard). Doorway to right gives into through
passage; large ridge stack (brick shaft, stone below). The right-hand element
in this elevation now forms the gable end of the W. range (with internal end
stack, coped gable with kneelers, garage entrance). It is highly likely that
this part of the house (ie the NW corner) incorporates a medieval pele tower
served by a still surviving newel in the SE angle.
W. elevation (all phases). The former pele and W. range all under the same
roof with ridge stack. Irregular fenestration; phase 2 marked by one small
ground-floor window with chamfered surround and modern 2-light casement, and
a 1st floor hood mould, originally for a 3-light window but now with a C19
4-pane sash. Other C19 sash windows. 2 phase 3 windows, both of 2-lights
with diamond leading, one to the 1st floor (with transom), the other to light
S range attic. Attached outbuildings and external boiler stacks of no interest.
Courtyard elevations. Considerable evidence of the phase 2 building survives
on the courtyard elevations of all but the S range where later building (including the rear stacks and stair turret from phase 3) obscures early features. The render probably conceals much of interest. The S face of the N range contains more visible work: doorway to cross-passage with chamfered jambs, and depressed arch (C19 planked door); this is connected with 2 3-light double chamfered windows by a continuous string course that forms the window hood moulds. All but one of the original lights are blocked but several mullions may be hidden beneath the render. 1st floor with 2 large 4-light windows with transom and continuous string course/hoodmould. Mostly blocked except for one C20 insertion. Another small window to upper half-storey remains of similar windows to E and W elevations. One unadorned slit window lights pele tower newel and is probably medieval.
Interior. With the exception of the S range, very little early work survives
or is visible although much is probably concealed.
Of the medieval work (other than undetailed masonry) only the newel of the pele is visible rising from ground to attic. There is evidence suggestive of a second newel to the inner SE angle of the building. The pele was re-roofed along with the W range in the second phase (2 bays visible, tie beam, collar, staggered purlins, pegged throughout). Blocked C16/17 window in attic N wall. Other roofs not inspected; that to the N range could be of great interest.
The great kitchen fireplace (E range) was apprarently gutted in c.1855.
The best internal features are to be found in the principal (S) range. Ground
floor: each of the 3 rooms with stone fireplaces with bolection moulded surrounds; intersecting ceiling beams, plastered over to the right-hand room, otherwise roughly chamfered or plain; internal panelled shutters. Good stair (central, rear turret); open well, moulded rail, panelled newels, inverted dumb bell balusters; it looks right for the late C17. The principal rooms are on the 1st floor, and the details in the main later, C18; bolection moulded fireplaces; end panelled cupboards occupying position of windows; the 3 main rooms connected by doorways with moulded shouldered architraves.
Listing NGR: NX9834220970
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings