This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.5799 / 54°34'47"N
Longitude: -3.5749 / 3°34'29"W
OS Eastings: 298303
OS Northings: 521662
OS Grid: NX983216
Mapcode National: GBR 3HGH.V0
Mapcode Global: WH5Z2.14XT
Entry Name: Lowca War Memorial
Listing Date: 17 September 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1457587
Location: Lowca, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28
Civil Parish: Lowca
Built-Up Area: Lowca
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.
First World War memorial, 1920.
MATERIALS: grey granite.
DESCRIPTION: Lowca War Memorial is located on a roadside green, High Lowca at the junction with West Croft Terrace, Lowca, Cumbria. It is prominently situated by the side of the main north-south road through the village. It comprises a light grey granite column with vertical incised flutings, which stands atop a moulded pedestal with cornice and wreaths carved at the top, leaded names below, and it stands on a moulded three-tiered base featuring a carved crossed rifle and sword to the front face. The column is surmounted by acanthus carvings. A recent (2008) stone tablet had been added to mark a relocation.
The inscription is in leaded lettering and reads ERECTED BY/ THE INHABITANTS OF LOWCA/ TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)// 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)// THIS MEMORIAL WAS RE-SITED/ THE 22ND SEPTEMBER 2008/ BY THE PEOPLE OF LOWCA.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Lowca as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Lowca War Memorial was originally situated near to the Methodist Chapel. Some of the funding came from the disbanded Lowca Prisoner of War Fund in March 1919. The rest was raised by public subscription. The memorial was designed by Messrs Beattie and Co of Carlisle, whose design was accepted in May 1919, so long as they agreed to incorporate a carved rifle. The cost was approximately £105.
The memorial was unveiled near to the Methodist Chapel on 25 April 1920 by Thomas Crellin (of Lowca) and was maintained by the local branch of the British Legion until the 1960s, from then on having been maintained by the Parish Council. The memorial commemorates ten local servicemen who fell in the First World War and five men who fell in the Second World War.
The memorial was moved a short distance northwards to its current position in 2008.
Lowca War Memorial, which is situated on a roadside green in High Lowca, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.
* an elegant and well-executed granite column featuring decorative details.
Other nearby listed buildings