History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bridget

A Grade II Listed Building in Parton, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5742 / 54°34'27"N

Longitude: -3.5752 / 3°34'30"W

OS Eastings: 298273

OS Northings: 521024

OS Grid: NX982210

Mapcode National: GBR 3HGK.S2

Mapcode Global: WH5Z2.19T6

Entry Name: Church of St Bridget

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336001

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76145

Location: Parton, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28

County: Cumbria

District: Copeland

Civil Parish: Parton

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Moresby St Bridget

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Whitehaven

Listing Text

NX 92 SE PARTON MORESBY

1/47 Church of St Bridget,

9.3.67

G.V. II


Parish Church, on site of Roman Fort, replaced mid C12 church. Built 1822 by
G. Crawford. Chancel added 1885 by J. Bintley (Kendal) in similar style;
interior refurbished at same time. Ashlar on moulded plinth with corner
pilasters, eaves band, and cornice; sill band to chancel. B1ocking course to
graduated slate roofs; stone copings and kneelers. Tower has parapet with
obelisk finials to corners. 4-bay nave with integral 3-stage west tower; 2-bay
chancel. Symmetrical west front with central plank door and semicircular
fanlight on ground floor of tower; vestry to left, baptistry to right. 2 rows
of windows to nave, all round-headed. Chancel has 2 tall windows to either side
and Venetian window to east end. Dragons to rainwater heads; decorative
down-pipes. Interior: Porch with stairs up to 1885 western gallery which is
supported on cast-iron columns with Gothic traceried spandrels. Semicircular
chancel arch carried on Ionic responds; text board to either side. Late
C19/early C20 stained glass to lower windows by Heaton, Butler, & Bayne
(London). 1902 panelled reredos. 1885 square wooden pulpit by Simpson & Rich;
decoratively carved with painted panels. Late C19 octagonal marble font in
baptistry; font from medieval church (stone, with octagonal bowl) outside
vestry. Pedimented marble memorial slab in baptistry, 1843 for Mary Ann
Steward, shows profile (portrait?).


Listing NGR: NX9827321024

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.