This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0413 / 52°2'28"N
Longitude: -0.366 / 0°21'57"W
OS Eastings: 512167
OS Northings: 239356
OS Grid: TL121393
Mapcode National: GBR H4L.Y16
Mapcode Global: VHFQP.LYWJ
Entry Name: Obelisk Approximately 20 Metres East of Chicksands Priory
Listing Date: 10 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137723
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37575
Location: Campton and Chicksands, Central Bedfordshire, SG17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Campton and Chicksands
Built-Up Area: Chicksands
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Campton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 1217 3936 CHICKSANDS
7/21 Obelisk approx 20 metres E
of Chicksands Priory
Obelisk. Circa l816. Original inscription reads:
"To the memory of the Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Private
Soldiers of the Fortieth Regiment of Foot who gloriously fell in the
Contest maintained by Great Britain against revolutionary France,
commencing in the Year 1795 and terminating in the Year 1815 by the
BATTLE OF WATERLOO and the CAPTURE of PARIS. This Pillar is erected by
GENERAL SIR GEORGE OSBORN Bart their COLONEL in humble gratitude to
Divine Providence for the Success of His Majesty's Arms and for the
Restoration of the Blessings OF PEACE."
Rendered exterior over brick and coursed rubble core. Consists of obelisk of
rather broad proportions, supported by rectangular plinth with simply moulded
base and cap and inscriptions on 3 elevations. Stands approximately 4 metres
high in total. 2 later inscriptions refer to the re-siting and restoration
of the monument on 2 occasions: first by Sir George Robert Osborn to
commemorate the Treaty of Paris in 1856; then by the Friends of Chicksands
Priory in 1975-6 to commemorate 25 years of operations at Chicksands by the
United States Air Force, the bicentenary of American Independence and European
Architectural Heritage Year.
Listing NGR: TL1216739356
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings