This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0599 / 52°3'35"N
Longitude: -0.2357 / 0°14'8"W
OS Eastings: 521053
OS Northings: 241637
OS Grid: TL210416
Mapcode National: GBR J5X.TF5
Mapcode Global: VHGN6.VHR7
Entry Name: New Spring Water Pumping Station, Engine House and Pump Masters House
Listing Date: 25 January 1984
Last Amended: 21 July 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137763
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37498
Location: Biggleswade, Central Bedfordshire, SG18
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Biggleswade
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Biggleswade
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
927/5/67 LONDON ROAD
21-JUL-03 PUMP HOUSE AND PUMP MASTER'S HOUSE
New Spring Water Pumping Station, Engi
ne House and Pump Master's House
TL 210416SW New Spring Water Pumping 927/5/67 Station,
25-JAN-1984 Engine House and Pump Master's House
Water pumping station and superintendent's house. Dated 1906. George F. Deacon, Chief engineer to the Biggleswade Water Board. Snecked red sandstone ashlar with hipped clay tile roof. Rectangular plan engine house and double-depth plan house. Arts and Crafts style. Engine house is single storey, 3 window bays; Pump Master's house is 2 storeys and attic; 5 window range.
EXTERIOR: ENGINE HOUSE single storey with pitched roof. Projecting central porch with rusticated lower courses, semi-circular arch entrance with drip mould and keystone under 2 square windows with metal geometric tracery. Above these, projecting cornice under 2 square turrets with deeply recessed arched windows with metal geometric tracery, flanking a shallow gable with panel inscribed BWB/1906. North and south elevations each have large central semi-circular 3-light windows flanked by side windows each with cambered heads, all with glazing bars. Late-C20 brick filter house attached to rear not of special interest. Walls front and rear link with PUMP MASTER'S HOUSE. House has a string course, front square corner towers and a pyramidal roof. Ground floor has deep recessed entrance porch to right with short column over wall, and 3 rectangular lights to left with leaded glazing bars, keystones and quoins. Similar windows to first floor, group of 3 to left and pair above entrance. 5-light flat-headed dormer.
INTERIOR: ENGINE HOUSE has interior pumps in situ. Water pumped from boreholes and treated to remove iron by air injection and pressure filters; chlorine added and pumped to water tower and covered reservoir at Toplers Hill. Glazed bricks to walls. Plaques identify Water Board and details of the well. Cast iron trusses with curved braces. Crane by Vaughan Crane Co. of Manchester. PUMP MASTER'S HOUSE has full height, open well stair with slender turned balusters and flared chamfered newels. Some cast iron fireplaces with Arts Nouveau detail.
HISTORY: Formerly contained diesel-powered pumps, now electric.
SUBSIDIARY: The contemporary entrance wall and piers are listed separately.
Listing NGR: TL2105341637
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings