History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greenlane End and Attached Barn and Garden Wall and Gateposts

A Grade II Listed Building in Lupton, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2186 / 54°13'6"N

Longitude: -2.6754 / 2°40'31"W

OS Eastings: 356053

OS Northings: 480524

OS Grid: SD560805

Mapcode National: GBR 9MRN.KJ

Mapcode Global: WH83H.W75B

Entry Name: Greenlane End and Attached Barn and Garden Wall and Gateposts

Listing Date: 21 November 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138158

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75696

Location: Lupton, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Lupton

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Lupton

Listing Text


SD 58 SE LUPTON
15/116 Greenlane End and
21.11.52 attached barn and
garden wall and
gateposts

II

Farmhouse and barn. Late C17 or early C18, the barn later. Stone rubble with
slate roof. South-east elevation of 2 storeys and 5 bays, the 1st bay later;
8-bay barn to left has end 4-bay barn forming return wing, with stable to end.
Windows mostly have timber lintels and casements, but 2nd and 3rd bays of ground
floor have double-chamfered-cross-mullioned windows, with hollow-chamfered
mullions; 5th bay has large casement window with blocked cross-mullioned window
to right. Entrance has gabled porch with C20 timber and glass front; entrance
to 1st bay. Cross-axial stack and projecting gable-end stack have bases with
set offs and shafts with roll-moulded caps. Barn has segmental-headed entrance,
with blocked window and entrance to left and plaque with wheatsheaf and
inscribed: "18 C 34/WC". Return barn has segmental-headed entrance. Stable
gable-end has quoins and ball finial; entrance flanked by windows has cornice
and plaque with horse above, which is flanked by uprights with relief dagger and
branch, and has cornice; loading door above. North-east return has to right of
stack a 2-bay wing with 3 cross-mullion windows; narrow light with high transom
to right of stack. Projecting gable-end stack. Rear elevation has 2 projecting
gabled bays, the 1st with inserted window next to stack, the 2nd in 3
cross-mullioned windows and cellar light. 3rd bay has entrance, window in
former entrance with datestone above reading: "BBI/1716". Barn has blocked
segmental-headed entrance with entrances and window to right and to gable end of
return barn, which has later outshut under catslide roof to south-west return.
Garden wall runs along north-east and south-east sides of front garden; gates
adjoining house and to middle of south-east wall have piers with ball finials,
one missing. Interior of house not inspected but said to have stone fireplaces
and stair with turned balusters.


Listing NGR: SD5605380524

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.