This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4966 / 50°29'47"N
Longitude: -4.2099 / 4°12'35"W
OS Eastings: 243356
OS Northings: 68641
OS Grid: SX433686
Mapcode National: GBR NS.L4GP
Mapcode Global: FRA 272R.7NX
Entry Name: Calstock Viaduct
Listing Date: 23 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138329
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60814
Location: Calstock, Cornwall, PL18
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Calstock
Built-Up Area: Calstock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Calstock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
Railway viaduct over the River Tamar. Completed March 1908; built as part of the Plymouth, Devonport and South West Junction Railway, which had bought the East Cornwall Mineral Railway in 1894. Precast concrete block, manufactured on site in the casting yard on the Devon side of the viaduct. The viaduct has twelve round arches, with rectangular plan tapered piers, in rusticated blocks, with rounded cutwaters. The arches have imposts and voussoirs, plain parapet and coping; stepped corbel between each pair of arches, forming refuges in the parapet.
Built by John Charles Lang, a public works contractor of Liskeard, with engineers W.R. Galbraith and Richard Church, as part of the link line from Bere Alston to the East Cornwall Mineral Railway in Calstock. There are similarities between this viaduct and the viaduct in Poundstock, Cornwall (see Poundstock list). During construction, the blocks and other components were transported across the length of the viaduct by means of Blondins, or aerial ropeways. Until 1934, there was a remarkable vertical hoist, which was used to raise the lower tram wagons between river bank level and the viaduct.
The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1105516. That entry was removed from the List on 23 September 2016.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23 September 2016.
Other nearby listed buildings