History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Marys Church of England School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eccleston, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1575 / 53°9'26"N

Longitude: -2.8821 / 2°52'55"W

OS Eastings: 341114

OS Northings: 362626

OS Grid: SJ411626

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.52DK

Mapcode Global: WH88F.PWSS

Entry Name: St Marys Church of England School

Listing Date: 2 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138415

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55315

Location: Eccleston, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Eaton and Eccleston

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Eccleston St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Listing Text

SJ 4162
7/119

ECCLESTON C.P.
EATON ROAD
(West side)

St Marys Church of England School

II*

GV

School, 1878, by John Douglas for 1st Duke of Westminster. 'T'
shaped, Tudor style, in buttressed squared snecked red sandstone with
red tile roof. Attached leg-to-leg to 'T' shaped former
schoolmaster's house (q.v.). Octagonal steepled stone belfry turret.
Stone-coped gables with shaped finials. Stone chimney with 2 attached
octagonal flues. Louvred dormer ventilator in roof of school hall.
Mullioned windows, some arched; individual lights to straight-headed
windows are also arched; patterned leaded glazing. Niche in front
gable carries crowned figure teaching a child, in stone. 2 entrance
doorways with shaped boarded doors on ornate wrought iron hinges, in
arched stone openings. A modern flat-roofed brick extension at back
is not prominent.
Interior: Not inspected.
School and former schoolmaster's house make a distinguished
picturesque group; the massing and detailing of each element (quite
small in scale) impart a friendly, informal character unusual in
Victorian schools. (See Pevsner and Hubbard).


Listing NGR: SJ 41114 62626

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.