This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3044 / 53°18'15"N
Longitude: -2.2387 / 2°14'19"W
OS Eastings: 384188
OS Northings: 378628
OS Grid: SJ841786
Mapcode National: GBR DZT7.36
Mapcode Global: WHBBF.L64M
Plus Code: 9C5V8Q36+PG
Entry Name: Church of St. Philip and St James
Listing Date: 6 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138867
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58218
Location: Alderley Edge, Cheshire East, SK9
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Alderley Edge
Built-Up Area: Wilmslow
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Alderley Edge St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Chester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/10/2018
SJ 87 NW
ALDERLEY EDGE C.P.
Church of St. Philip and St James
(Formerly listed as Church of St. Phillip)
Church: 1853 and south aisle and spire 1857 by J.S Crowther, vestry added 1903 by F.P Oakley. Hammer-dressed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Roof of bands of green, grey, and blue-grey slates and a pierced ridge. Decorated style with reticulated tracery. Six-bay nave and aisles, each under own ridge, three-bay chancel, hexagonal vestry and four-stage south west tower and spire.
Aisles have bays, divided by buttresses, each containing a two-light window. Similar chancel but with priest's door with trefoil cusped head and ornate iron hinges, and ending in diagonal buttresses with crocketted pinnacles. East window of four-lights has ogee shaped hood. Tower has angle buttresses. Deeply rebated porch door on three colonnettes has label mould on carved head stops, single lights in next two stages and ornate surrounds to two-light louvred bell openings. Tall spire has three levels of lucarnes.
Interior: six-bay arcade has round columns to north aisle and octagonal to south. Chancel arch stands on engaged semi-hexagonal columns. Chancel has a sedilia on the south wall and a piscina on the north both with trefoil cusped heads. Finely carved reredos of Last Supper (of 1903) and delicate panelling to simple choir stalls, pulpit and organ screen of 1907. Morris window of 1873 in south aisle. Wagon roofs throughout.
Though built in two stages the church must have been conceived as a whole and has a powerful exterior, correct in its detailing by the co-author with Bowman of Churches of the Middle Ages.
Listing NGR: SJ8418878628
Other nearby listed buildings