This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2639 / 53°15'49"N
Longitude: -2.3864 / 2°23'11"W
OS Eastings: 374321
OS Northings: 374167
OS Grid: SJ743741
Mapcode National: GBR CZSP.4P
Mapcode Global: WH99F.97V5
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 3 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139104
English Heritage Legacy ID: 57609
Location: Nether Peover, Cheshire West and Chester, WA16
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Nether Peover
Built-Up Area: Swan Green
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Lower or Nether Peover St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 77 SW NETHER PEOVER C.P. THE COBBLES
6/15 Church of St.Oswald
Church: A chapel since 1269; present structure of nave and chancel
probably late C14 and C15, the aisles altered and reroofed 1852 by
A.Salvin; west tower probably 1582, but looks a little earlier.
Oak-framed nave, chancel, aisles with east chapels, tower of Alderley
sandstone. The body of the church is an exact rectangle in plan, with
only the tower projecting. 3-stage crenellated tower with diagonal
buttresses, oak west door, Y-traceried 2-light west window, 3-light
mullioned windows to bell-ringers' chamber, lozenge clock-faces on
north, west and south faces and Y-traceried 2-light bell-openings.
Nave and aisles, under a single roof until 1852, now with 3 ridges,
and Chancel, chapel and vestry with 3 lower roofs have mullioned
windows with arched lights; the exterior frame has largely been
renewed in restoration, with much lozenge and chevron bracing. Gabled
south porch; flat-ogee arched doorways to vestry, south chapel and
north aisle. Sandstone plinth throughout.
Interior: 4-bay nave arcade has octagonal posts and capitals with 3
convex mouldings carrying arched braces, all of oak. Aisles plastered
and with the 1852 roof structures lighter than the medieval nave.
Chancel of 2 bays has chamfered posts and arch-braced trusses.
Shakerley Chapel south, 1610; Holford Chapel, north (now organ chamber
and vestry). Good parclose screens with moulded posts above a row of
panels; restored chancel screen with vase splat balusters; C17 altar
table and altar rail; C17 pews, all of oak with panelled doors - those
in south aisle and east of north door in north aisle against the aisle
walls have half doors (to retain rushes on floor). Dugout chest of oak
in south aisle, probably C14; simple round font probably brought from
Norton Priory 1322; bread shelves by font 1720 and 1739, pulpit and
lectern 1853; memorial glass, mostly 1890's; charity board in tower.
2 bells probably from 1541; 4 by 1610, 2 added 1853; clock with chimes
1897. Monuments to Sir Geoffrey Shakerley 1696 and Katharine
The interior is outstanding as an (altered) example of a medieval
oak-framed church and for its C17 furnishings. C.f.St.James and
N.Pevsner and E.Hubbard The Buildings of England - Cheshire;
J.C.Sladden The Background and History of St.Oswald's Church, Lower
Listing NGR: SJ7432174166
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings