History in Structure

Church of St Mary and All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Great Budworth, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.2936 / 53°17'37"N

Longitude: -2.5043 / 2°30'15"W

OS Eastings: 366485

OS Northings: 377524

OS Grid: SJ664775

Mapcode National: GBR BZYC.M1

Mapcode Global: WH995.HGQX

Plus Code: 9C5V7FVW+C7

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and All Saints

Listing Date: 8 January 1970

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139156

English Heritage Legacy ID: 57538

ID on this website: 101139156

Location: St Mary and All Saints Church, Great Budworth, Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, CW9

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Great Budworth

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Great Budworth St Mary and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Tagged with: Church building English Gothic architecture

Find accommodation in


SJ 67 NE, 6/74

HIGH STREET (South Side)

Church of St Mary and All Saints



Church C14-1527, Thomas Hunter mason of the C16 parts; windows
repaired 1848-63; refurnishing by A Salvin, W Butterfield and
J Douglas later C19. Red sandstone with low-pitched roofs, probably
leaded, not visible. West tower, aisled nave with south porch;
transept chapels north and south; chancel with south and north
chapels, the last now organ chamber and vestry.

Three-stage tower
1500-1520 (c.f. St Helen, Northwich) has diagonal buttresses,
octagonal south-west turret, replaced oak west door in ornamented
archway surmounted by band with carved coats-of-arms, decayed carved
panel to each side of door, Tudor-arched west window; band; small
arched bell-ringers' window on north, west and south face, eroded
bas-relief panel on north and south face and clock on west face; band;
paired 2-light bell-openings with transoms and stone louvres;
crenellation with eight crocketed pinnacles. Nave has 4-light
panel-traceried west and south windows to aisles, 3-light north aisle
windows with intersecting tracery; south clerestorey windows with
Tudor arches and four lights with alternating basket-arched and trefoil
heads and 4-light north clerestory windows with rudimentary panel
tracery; plain crenellated porch with door of broad oak boards and
square 2-light aisle window above; restored north door. South
transept chapel has ornate 4-light south window with panel tracery,
altered 3-light west window with intersecting tracery and restored
lancet to east. South chancel chapel has priest's door and 3-light
south and east windows with panel tracery. 5-light east window to
chancel has transitional curvilinear/panel tracery. North chancel
chapel has panel-traceried east window of three lights, a blocked opening
And a 3-light north window with transitional curvilinear/panel
tracery. North transept Lady Chapel, C14, has gabled buttresses, two
2-light east windows, a 3-light north window with panel tracery,
priest's door and a restored 3-light reticulated window under a
depressed arch. All elements are crenellated; diagonal corner
buttresses; many and varied gargoyles.

INTERIOR: Tower arch simply recessed in three orders. Nave arcades of six
bays; that to north has three square piers with half-round responds, east,
and two with concave corners between responds and arches with big
convex mouldings; that to south, later, has concave corners and triple
shafts on each face and lighter arch mouldings; carved heads and other
motifs on capitals of north arcade; panelled oak camber-beam roof
without bosses; shafts and two bands articulate the clerestorey.
Restored camber-beam roof to south aisle; rebuilt roof with no
features of interest to north aisle; chancel arch has continuing
mouldings and no capitals; rood-loft arch north; line of former roof
above arch. Lady Chapel (north transept), with stone screen by
Salvin, has oak roof with unbraced crown posts and massive tie-beams on
brackets. Warburton Chapel (south transept) has panelled camber-beam
roof of oak with ornate principal beams and ovolo secondary beams.
Chancel arcades of two bays; wagon roof. South chancel chapel has
restored or replaced oak camber-beam panelled roof; organ chamber and
vestry has replaced roof with no features of interest. C15 octagonal
font; benefactions board, 1703, at west corner of south aisle; Glass
of E window, south chancel chapel east window and vestry east window
by Kempe; Lady Chapel glass 1965 by Fourmaintreaux/the Whitefriars
Glass Studio; benches in south chapel probably C13; medieval stone
altar in south chapel; damaged effigy of Sir John Warburton, died
1575; monument to Sir Peter Warburton died 1813; iron screen to south
chancel chapel 1857; organ 1839, repositioned 1857; pulpit 1857;
lectern 1888; choir prayer desks by John Douglas circa 1883, admired
by T Raffles Davison.

A most satisfying largely Perpendicular chuch with a few Decorated
features and C19 restoration showing the influence of Rowland Egerton
Warburton, an early patron of the Vernacular Revival.

Listing NGR: SJ6648177518

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.