This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2513 / 53°15'4"N
Longitude: -2.2411 / 2°14'27"W
OS Eastings: 384012
OS Northings: 372728
OS Grid: SJ840727
Mapcode National: GBR DZSV.M6
Mapcode Global: WHBBM.KJ1T
Entry Name: Chapel of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Last Amended: 28 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139279
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59121
Location: Siddington, Cheshire East, SK11
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Siddington
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Siddington and Capesthorne Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SIDDINGTON C.P. CAPESTHORNE PARK
SJ 87 SW
6/82 Chapel of the Holy
Trinity (formerly listed
as Chapel at Capesthorne
14 4 67
Chapel. Dated 1722 on original iron pennant to bell turret, altered
1887. By William Smith of Wergs. Red Flemish bond brick with stone
dressings and slate roof. Nave and apsidal chancel.
South front: Projecting plinth with stone moulding to top. Stone
quoins to corners. Nave of three bays. Doorway to left with
semi-circular arched stone surround and keystone containing double
3-pannelled doors and fanlight. Circular window above with four
keystones. Two windows to right of this with semi-circular arched
stone surrounds with keystones and stone aprons below windows.
Moulded stone cornice above supporting balustrade. Balusters with
heavy concave lower bodies. Square piers supporting swagged ball
East wall: central projecting semi-circular apse. Blind arched
window to centre and two similar blocked windows to either side. The
central window was circular with 4 keystones before the alterations of
Interior: Raised family pew to west end with raised and fielded
panelling to interior. In 1887 the interior was considerably altered.
The box pews were replaced with a college chapel arrangement of facing
pews. The triple-decker pulpit supported on terms was cut down and
placed to the left of the apse. The panelling of the lower walls was
raised in height. Wooden pilasters placed at the sides of the windows
framing terra-cotta panels to the piers by George Tinworth. The heavy
panelled ceiling was also added with gilded pendants and rosettes and
the chancel windows filled. The mosaic reredos in an alabaster
surround is by Salviati's and loosely based on Giotto's Dormition then
in the Davenport collection at Capesthorne.
Listing NGR: SJ8401272728
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings