History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Walton, Warrington

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3626 / 53°21'45"N

Longitude: -2.6048 / 2°36'17"W

OS Eastings: 359846

OS Northings: 385254

OS Grid: SJ598852

Mapcode National: GBR BY7K.V9

Mapcode Global: WH98Q.YRS0

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 23 December 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139352

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58992

Location: Walton, Warrington, WA4

County: Warrington

Civil Parish: Walton

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Walton St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Warrington

Listing Text

SJ 58 NE WALTON C.P. CHESTER ROAD (South East
side)

2/53 Church of St John the
Evangelist

GV II*

Church, 1885, Decorated, by Paley and Austin at expense of Sir Gilbert
Greenall. Red snecked sandstone with graded Westmorland green slate
roofs. Cruciform with 3-bay aisleless nave; oak-framed south porch on
6-foot sandstone plinth; massive 4-stage tower (chequer-work in 3rd
stage) with recessed octagonal spire of stone and octagonal north-west
stair-turret; transepts; chancel of 2 bays with south vestry. Windows
have reticulated and panel tracery; the west window and those to north
side of chancel and west side of transepts are square-headed.
Interior. Barrel roof to nave and chancel with boarded lining in
panels, each carrying a stencilled pattern; arch-braced transept
roofs; rib-vaulted crossing; sedilia in south side of chancel; reredos
with carved crucifixion; marble font, oak pulpit on stone base; oak
pews and altar-rail; tiled floors.

The church is the principal building of the Walton Hall estate village
(circa 1850 to 1912 ), built at the expense of the Greenall family,
brewers and distillers, of Warrington.


Listing NGR: SJ5984685254

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.