History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of St Mary at Arley Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aston by Budworth, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.3246 / 53°19'28"N

Longitude: -2.4885 / 2°29'18"W

OS Eastings: 367556

OS Northings: 380968

OS Grid: SJ675809

Mapcode National: GBR CY2Z.1X

Mapcode Global: WH98Z.RP5M

Entry Name: Chapel of St Mary at Arley Hall

Listing Date: 7 September 1979

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139505

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58503

Location: Aston By Budworth, Cheshire East, CW9

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Aston by Budworth

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Great Budworth St Mary and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


3/11 Chapel of St Mary at
Arley Hall



Chapel. 1845. By Anthony Salvin with north aisle of 1856-7 by George
Street. Ashlar and rendered brick with slate and tile roofs. Nave
with north aisle, bell turret, porch and chancel. Decorated Gothic.
South front: 4 bay nave, 2-light pointed mullioned window to left with
hood mould. Projecting 2-storey bay to right of this (originally
forming connecting passages to house) now with rendered south wall.
Plain ashlar west wall. Canted enriched oriel to east front supported
on buttress with carved beasts and small lancets to either side with
cusped tracery. In the angle between the projection and the body of
the nave is an octagonal bell turret with one lancet to the south
east wall. 8 lancet openings to bell stage with hood moulds and
end-stops. Red tiled double-pitch roof above this. Nave body to
right has a moulded base common to the chancel and east end. Two
2-light mullioned windows with varied tracery. Buttresses between
with off-sets and gargoyles above. Angled buttress at east end of
nave with niche containing statue of Virgin and Child on a column and
moulded canopy and gargoyle above. Pierced parapet common to nave and
chancel. Chancel: of 2 bays set back slightly from the nave with two
2-light Decorated windows. Butress between with off sets and gargoyle
spout and crocketed pinnacle over. Moulded lead rain water head and
down pipe. Priests door with wrought iron decoration below left-hand
window. North front: of Street's building with plainer decorated
tracery and with plain buttresses between. Right hand window has
doorway beneath with carved stonework to spandrels and wrought iron
work to door. Left hand nave window is a double Decorated design of
2 x 2 lights. Vestry to left has one triple lancet to right. East
front has late Ibcorated window to vestry and window of c1890 to
chancel. The west wall is now rendered to its lower part where it
originally joined the house and has stone work to the gable with a
traceried window.
Interior: Nave south wall has string course with ball flower end
stops. 2-storey moulded arch to'original entrance from house. Wooden
moulded panelling to gallery front. North arcade of 3 bays with
ovolo-moulded colomettes by Street with high-relief capitals of
foliage. Nave roof supported on wooden angle corbels, holding
shields, arch braces to tie with longitudinal beam. 3 double-corona
chandeliers with candelabra and lectern by Singer of Frome, Somerset
c1880. Walls originally plastered, brickwork now exposed. North
aisle has stone corbels supporting lean-to roof. Pierced spandrels to
roof. Iron screen by Street richly polychromatically painted as is
the iron radiator cover in the style of a C13 tomb with lily finials.
Front: richly carved stone bowl with 8 panels carved with foliage
designs and the Agnus Dei supported on a cluster of marble columns.
Chancel has piscina and triple sedilia. East window stained glass by
Kempe of 1895.

Listing NGR: SJ6755680968

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.