History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tudor Barn Approximately 100 Yards to West of Arley Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Aston by Budworth, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3244 / 53°19'27"N

Longitude: -2.49 / 2°29'23"W

OS Eastings: 367460

OS Northings: 380938

OS Grid: SJ674809

Mapcode National: GBR CZ10.Q0

Mapcode Global: WH98Z.QPHV

Entry Name: Tudor Barn Approximately 100 Yards to West of Arley Hall

Listing Date: 5 March 1959

Last Amended: 3 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139506

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58505

Location: Aston By Budworth, Cheshire East, CW9

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Aston by Budworth

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Great Budworth St Mary and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Lymm

Listing Text

SJ 68 SE ASTON-BY-BUDWORTH C.P. ARLEY HALL

3/13 Tudor Barn approx. 100
yards to west of Arley
Hall (formerly listed as
stable block and archway)

5.3.59

G.V. II

Former barn now used as tea shop and kitchen. c1604. Red English
garden wall bond brick with stone dressings and slate roof. Single
storey with open roof at north end, originally of 2 floors as still
exists at south. West front: stone plinth with small offset
buttresses. Stone quoins. 4 doorways with stone surrounds and heavy
lintels. 3 doors to right are C19 plank construction, that to right a
walkway. One 2 and one 3-light casement window to ground floor left
hand side with stone surrounds, mullions and arched lights. First
floor has 2 replacement square C20 single lights windows to left
(where hay loft doors originally were). One 3-light casement window
with stone surround slightly to right of centre. Square hayloft door
to right of this and one 2-light casement window with stone surround
at right. Dormer ventilation grilles to roof. North gable end: two
C20 ground floor windows with segment heads. Breathers in diamond and
X patterns. Close-studding to first floor with C20 glass infill.
V-strutting to gable with brick infill. East front: right hand door
to walkway has stone surround with '1609' carved on lintel in C19
lettering. 3-light casement to right of this with stone surround of 3
x 4 lights with segmental arches. Three C20 double French windows
continuing to upper wall as glass panels. 4-light with a stone
surround to right of centre.
Interior: Queen post trusses with angle braces. 2 sets of wind
braces.

The building adjoins the "Cruck barn" (q.v.) at that buildings south
end.


Listing NGR: SJ6746080938

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.