This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3243 / 53°19'27"N
Longitude: -2.4886 / 2°29'18"W
OS Eastings: 367552
OS Northings: 380927
OS Grid: SJ675809
Mapcode National: GBR CZ20.01
Mapcode Global: WH98Z.RP4X
Entry Name: Arley Hall
Listing Date: 5 March 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329694
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58499
Location: Aston By Budworth, Cheshire East, CW9
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Aston by Budworth
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Great Budworth St Mary and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 68 SE ASTON-BY-BUDWORTH C.P. ARLEY EALL
3/7 Arley Hall
House. 1835-45. By George Latham of Nantwich. Red Flemish bond
brick with blue headers arranged in patterns of diapering, Horton
stone dressings and slate roof. 2 storeys with cellars and attic.
Mezzanine floor to west side. South front: symmetrical 7-bay facade
in A.B.B.C.B.B.A. rhythm. Stone plinth, quoins, window surrounds and
parapet. Slightly projecting wings to either side with stone quoins
and shaped gables with stone decorations. Canted 2-storey bays of 6
lights. 5 mullions to both floors with 2 transoms to ground floor
windows and one to first floor. Pierced stone parapets to both bays.
Central porch with 2 pairs of debased Ionic columns with Jacobean
diamond lozenges to lower shafts and strapwork to pedestals. Central
arch with coats of arms in the spandrels. Above this there originally
rose a square tower with a semi-circular oriel window and octagonal
lantern over. This was demolished in 1968 and replaced by a 3-light
window with 2 mullions and one transom in a stone surround. To either
side are two 3-light windows with 2 transoms and 2 mullions. Hood
moulds over join at level of upper transom. First floor windows
similar to central replacement. 2 groups of 4 moulded brick Tudor
chimneys to left and right behind ridge. West front: 2 floors with
mezzanine. Doorway to centre imposed upon central 2 lights of a
4-light mullioned and transomed window. 2-light mullioned and
transomed window to left with two 2-light mullioned windows at
mezzanine level. Two 2-light mullioned windows above these. To right
a 3-flue chimney stack, then blank ground and mezzanine floors. Stone
oriel to first floor of 3 mullioned and transomed lights supported on
consoles with 2-light mullioned and transomed windows to either side.
Strapwork decoration to lower part of oriel and pierced stone parapet
Interior: Front Hall: Oak panelling in a C17 style. Plaster
strapwork to ceiling. Library: bookcases and chimney-piece in loose
Jacobean style. Ionic pillars with lozenges to lower shafts and
strapwork to pedestals with male and female terms above in pairs to
overmantel. Fittings supplied by H Wood and Co. of Covent Garden in
1843. Elaborate Jacobean ceiling with pendants. Canted bays
containing stained glass to upper lights by M Lusson of Paris, 1852.
Gallery: oak panelling to lower walls, panelled, moulded ceiling with
strapwork and pendants. Canted bay with stained glass to upper lights
by M Lusson 1863. Fireplace with 2 Doric columns, panelled at bases.
Overmantel with central carved panel of St George slaying the dragon
with personifications of Hope and Patience to either side in niches.
Underneath the appropriate carvings the inscriptions 'HOPE
CONFIDENTLY' 'DO VALIINTLY' and 'WAIT PATIENTLY'. Drawing room: coved
ceiling with delicate 'Jacobean' strapwork, arabesque decoration to
cornice frieze and raised and fielded panelling to the lower walls of
mid-C19 French style. 9-panel doors with similar mid-C19 French
doorcases. Great Staircase: half-turn staircase with landings.
Plaster strapwork to soffit. Deep moulded handrail and heavy oak
balusters. Coved ceiling decorated with strapwork rising to central
octagonal lantern also with plaster strapwork decoration to ceiling.
Ante-room: oak panelled barrel-vault with strapwork and pendants.
The first Arley Hall was built on this site by the Warburton family in
1469. The estate has descended in the same family since then. In
1968 the house suffered considerable reduction due to demolition, the
Banqueting Hall and much of the East front and service court having
been razed. The Chapel (q.v.) was then isolated. The service court
originally abutted the west front and the present left hand portion of
that front is a rendering of an originally external wall with old
mullioned windows reset.
Sources: George Ormerod - History of Cheshire ed. Helsby 1882
Country Life - 24 December 1904
Ni kolaus Pevsner and Edward Hubbard - The Buildings of
England : Cheshire. London 1971
Listing NGR: SJ6755280927
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings