History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in High Legh, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3531 / 53°21'11"N

Longitude: -2.4517 / 2°27'6"W

OS Eastings: 370030

OS Northings: 384119

OS Grid: SJ700841

Mapcode National: GBR CYBN.0Q

Mapcode Global: WH98T.9ZSB

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 3 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139514

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58527

Location: High Legh, Cheshire East, WA16

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: High Legh

Built-Up Area: High Legh

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: High Legh St John

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Lymm

Listing Text

SJ 78 SW HIGH LEGH C.P. THE AVENUE

4/34 Church of St John

-

- II

1893. By Edmund Kirby. Ashlar, red Flemish bond brick and timber
framing with rendered infill. Tile roof. Tower, narthex, south
western porch, nave, chancel and south eastern vestry. The stone
lower walls to the whole body of the church are a retention of the
lower walls of the former church by Thomas Harrison destroyed by fire
in 1891, the small off-set buttresses being additions by Kirby.
Western narthex : timber framed walls with lean-to roof abutting main
body of nave. Central western window of 4 casement lights with
timber-framed gable above. One 2-light window to each side. Porch
adjoins to right as a continuation of narthex with 1/2-hipped roof and
one 2-light window to west and east side-walls. Tower of 2 further
stages rises from narthex. Bay window to first stage of 4 mullioned
lights to west with 2 transoms and 2 mullioned lights to sides. Coving
above with timber framed gable. Brick belfry-stage above with its
louvred openings to each face. Double-pitch roof with lead spire
above. South front: skin of close-studding, nave of 3 bays with porch
to left. Windows have flat lintels and 4 lights of Perpendicular
tracery. Vestry to right projecting to south. ½ hipped roof to south
with 6-light casement window below eaves. Chancel: brick with late
liacorated eastern window.
Interior: Western internal wall between nave and narthex timber-
framed with leaded casement windows to narthex at left and right of
large central glazed opening to towers. Other internal walls of
brick. Deeply chamfered window reveals with double 1/4 circle moulded
stone corbels supporting a continuous wooden lintel with roll moulding
and brattishing. Coving above lintel of row of cells of small
framing. South eastern most bay of nave has double wooden arched
opening to vestry. Pointed brick chancel arch with continuous
moulding to ground. Roof retiled 1982.


Listing NGR: SJ7003084119

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.