This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3514 / 53°21'5"N
Longitude: -2.4511 / 2°27'3"W
OS Eastings: 370071
OS Northings: 383932
OS Grid: SJ700839
Mapcode National: GBR CYBP.4B
Mapcode Global: WH990.B121
Entry Name: Chapel of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 March 1959
Last Amended: 3 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139516
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58533
Location: High Legh, Cheshire East, WA16
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: High Legh
Built-Up Area: High Legh
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: High Legh St John
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 78 SW HIGH LEGH C.P. PHEASANT WALK
4/43 Chapel of St Mary
(formerly listed as
Chapel. c.1581, the south aisle of 1836 and the chancel of 1884 by
J Oldrid Scott. Ashlar with tiled roof. Aisled nave with choir and
chancel. West facade: Central projecting porch with pilasters to
sides with bases and rising to consoles supporting cornice with
central armigerous overthrow above. 2-lightPerpendicular windows to
either side. 3-light Perpendicular window above porch with
semi-circular relieving arch over. Square bell turret to gable apex.
C19 chimney to left hand side. North front: doorway to left with
Tudor arch with oeil-de-boeuf window to its left. Two 3-light
casement windows to right. C19 gabled dormer clerestory windows, that
to left set slightly higher, all with decorated bargeboards and
bargeposts. 2-light C19 perpendicular chancel window to left. East
front: 4-light C19 Perpendicular window. South Front: 4 round-arched
windows with 3 semi-circular lights. Gables above with kneelers to
sides. One dormer clerestory window at far left of nave with
decorated bargeboards and post as on north front.
Interior: 3-bay nave with octagonal wooden piers to aisles with
arched braces extending on four sides to aisle roof principals, to
lateral ovolo-moulded beams and to have roof trusses of cambered tie
beam, collar and angle braces. Two purlins with wind bracing and
ridge. Chamfered reveals to north aisle windows and bead moulded
mullions. Upper clerestory dormer windows of 4 casement lights. C19
pargetting to ceiling of Tudor roses. Fleurs de lys and stars. Pews
to nave of L858 by Butterfield, wainscotting and screens of 1884 by
J Oldrid Scott. Pulpit constructed of vigorously carved C17 panels,
incorporated by Butterfield, with animal heads and figures of saints.
A reading desk of similar format, 2 chairs with terms to sides and an
altar rail with balusters formed of figure carvings.
Listing NGR: SJ7007183932
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings