History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hayman's House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Over Alderley, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.282 / 53°16'55"N

Longitude: -2.2188 / 2°13'7"W

OS Eastings: 385505

OS Northings: 376137

OS Grid: SJ855761

Mapcode National: GBR DZYH.F6

Mapcode Global: WHBBF.WRLT

Entry Name: Hayman's House

Listing Date: 14 April 1967

Last Amended: 6 July 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139606

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58331

Location: Over Alderley, Cheshire East, SK10

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Over Alderley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Birtles St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Alderley Edge

Listing Text

SJ 87 NE OVER ALDERLEY C.P. HOCKER LANE
(North Side)

5/165 Hayman's House (formerly
listed as Hayman's
Farm House)

14/4/1967
II*

Small hall: completed 1528, renovations to chimney and addition of
porch 1583, C17 outshut, all for Acton family, some C19 and C20
alterations. Timber-framed with brick nogging on sandstone plinth,
some repairs and small additions to brick. Kerridge stone slate roof,
stone ridge, 1 stone ridge chimney and 1 brick gable chimney. H-plan
house with added continuous outshut to rear. 2-storey. 4-bay and
3-gabled front. Left end bay has 5 by 3 small timber frames with C20
3-light wooden casement below and 2-light in gable. 2nd bay has a
projecting 2-storey porch with bead moulded entrance with a studded
board door in a similar case behind. Both the porch and the bay
behind have chevroning and porch gable has a miniature tiebeam and
diagonal strut truss. 3rd bay is replaced in brick and right end bay
has 5 by 3 timber small frames, both with C20 casements. Timber
framed outshut to rear and a small brick addition.
Interior: Lobby entry against ashlar central stack. Hall was
probably open to the roof originally, with a large inglenook fireplace
with a chamfered cambered fire beam. Now has late C16 floor with
deeply chamfered ceiling beams with quirk and tongue stops. Similar
beams in parlour to left which has a late C16 stone fireplace with a
cyma and bead moulded surround. Simpler but similar fireplace
upstairs. 3 3-board doors with iron strap hinges. Room over porch
may have been small chapel or oratory. To rear in a brick lean-to are
the remains of a complex of brick ovens. Underneath is a corbelled
stone cellar one lit by a 2-light stone mullion window in the plinth
that may belong to an earlier building. --


Listing NGR: SJ8550576137

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.