History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cuthbert

A Grade II Listed Building in Ormesby, Redcar and Cleveland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5429 / 54°32'34"N

Longitude: -1.1808 / 1°10'51"W

OS Eastings: 453092

OS Northings: 516709

OS Grid: NZ530167

Mapcode National: GBR NH6X.48

Mapcode Global: WHD76.T2WP

Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert

Listing Date: 29 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139628

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60284

Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS7

County: Redcar and Cleveland

Electoral Ward/Division: Ormesby

Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Ormesby St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Guisborough

Listing Text

ORMESBY CHURCH LANE west side
NZ 51 NW
(off)
6/31 Church of St. Cuthbert
G.V. II

Church, 1875 by Hicks and Charlewood, incorporating re-dressed masonry from
C12 church, on Anglo Saxon foundation. North porch 1887/89, reconstructed
1969. Late C19 vestry and organ chamber. Tower 1907. Dressed sandstone,
with medieval grave covers and carved fragments in south walls. Welsh slate
roofs on nave and vestry; Lakeland slate on organ chamber, felt on chancel
and oak shingles on spire. West tower; nave with north aisle, north porch
and south-west vestry; chancel with south organ chamber. Decorated style
with plate and reticulated tracery. 3-stage tower has moulded plinth, angle
buttresses and string courses between stages. Pointed west window in lower
stage; pointed bell openings with louvres; other windows rectangular; all
with tracery and hoodmoulds. Embattled parapet with crocketed angle
pinnacles. Octagonal needle spire with iron weather vane. 4-bay nave and
aisle, and 2-bay chancel, with continuous chamfered plinth. Projecting
porch has boarded double doors in pointed moulded surround under hoodmould
and enriched spandrels. Deep moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses and
embattled parapet with cross finial. Nave and aisle have 2-light windows
under hoodmoulds, between offset buttresses. Low parapets with roll-moulded
copings. Chancel has pointed windows, embattled parapet and cross finial.
Lean-to organ chamber.

Interior: 4-bay pointed, double-chamfered north arcade has round and
octagonal columns and continuous hoodmoulds. Pointed tower arch of 3
moulded orders, the inner on tapered corbels. Similar chancel arch of 2
orders. Wide chamfered, pointed vestry opening, springing at floor level,
holding wood screen. Shallow roof trusses have short crown posts, through
purlins, ties with curved braces and wall posts on corbels. Timber
fan-vaulted tower ceiling with Tudor-rose bosses. Sanctuary has marble
floor, carved wood panelling and retable with 4 figures of saints under
enriched pinnacled canopies, 1889. Early/mid C20 carved choir benches. Oak
rood screen, c.1914, with slender columns, drop tracery, brattishing and
cross finial. Richly-carved octagonal stone pulpit of 1897. Carved
octagonal stone font on short column and 2 steps. Early C20 2-tier lantern
cover with crocketed spire, by H.L. Hicks. Stained glass: east window
probably by Wailes c.1871, west window 1875, north aisle c.1900 by H.A.
Hymers (Chelsea), south-east window in nave 1875. Sculptured late C14 grave
cover depicting recumbent female figure, on late C19 base. 2 painted
bequest boards in vestry.


Listing NGR: NZ5309216709

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.