This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5613 / 54°33'40"N
Longitude: -1.1542 / 1°9'15"W
OS Eastings: 454793
OS Northings: 518783
OS Grid: NZ547187
Mapcode National: GBR NHCP.XN
Mapcode Global: WHD71.7MN2
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 22 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139655
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60245
Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS6
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Electoral Ward/Division: Teesville
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Eston Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: York
ESTON CHURCH LANE,
NZ 51 NW
west side (off)
6/2 Church of St. Helen
Chapel-of-ease, C12; tower rebuilt in C17; nave rebuilt, chancel altered and
vestry added, early C19. Used since c.1884 as cemetery chapel.
Chevron-tooled dressed sandstone. Lakeland slate roofs with stone ridge and
gable copings with block kneelers. Nave, chancel, north vestry and west
tower. 2-stage tower, with chamfered plinth, has early C19 south doorway
with 4-centred-headed, renewed double doors and blocked fanlight. Tall
pointed west window, partly blocked, holds early C19 fixed light with
intersecting head, and breaks through dripmould between stages. Square,
chamfered, mullioned, 2-light bell openings with louvres. Embattled parapet
with squat angle pinnacles. 3-bay nave has paired fixed-light lancets;
high-level square windows in west wall; all have glazing bars. Broad, low
chancel, has angle buttresses at east end. Off-centre blocked south
doorway, with hollow-chamfered surround; to left a segment-headed window
with keyed lintel incorporating part of re-used lintel dated 1621. To right
a flat-arched window with chamfered surround. Segment-headed east window,
c.1900, has 3 cusped lights. Square north window with keyed lintel. All
windows now boarded over. Lower vestry with reduced end stack. Interior:
plastered; west gallery with panelled front on octagonal timber columns.
Pointed chancel arch. King-post nave roof with 2 levels of butt purlins.
Plain square medieval font has chamfered angles and tapered base.
Listing NGR: NZ5479318783
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings