This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5439 / 54°32'38"N
Longitude: -1.1821 / 1°10'55"W
OS Eastings: 453010
OS Northings: 516822
OS Grid: NZ530168
Mapcode National: GBR NH5W.WX
Mapcode Global: WHD76.T18X
Entry Name: Stableblock, Circa 80 Metres North-East of Ormesby Hall
Listing Date: 5 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139662
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60278
Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS7
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Electoral Ward/Division: Ormesby
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ormesby St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: York
ORMESBY CHURCH LANE
NZ 51 NW
west side (off)
6/25 Stableblock, c.80m north-
5.5.52 east of Ormesby Hall
Stable block c.1770, possibly by John Carr for Sir James Pennyman. Mid C19
porch and rear extensions to south-east range. Chevron-tooled dressed
sandstone. Lakeland slate roofs. On 4 sides of courtyard. Entrance front
in south-west range : 2 storeys, 9 bays with 3-bay slightly-projecting
pedimented centre. Central round-headed passage opening with archivolt,
holds wood part-panelled, part-barred, double gates. Windows in
round-headed openings, with archivolts, plain impost bands and sills, on
ground floor, those in 2nd and 8th bays in blind round-headed openings with
voussoirs. Architraves and plain sills to square windows on first floor.
All windows sashes with glazing bars, renewed at right on ground floor.
Modillion eaves cornice. Low-pitched hipped roof has central short tower
with clock faces on all sides, Tuscan angle colonnettes and nowy cornice.
Tuscan cupola has partly-fluted ogee saucer dome with ball finial and
weather vane. Drum holds bell. Single-bay returns have similar blind
openings with blocked windows on ground floor and sash windows in
architraves on first floor. 7-bay courtyard front has 4 blind lunettes
above impost band flanking entrance. Plain first-floor window surrounds;
external stair with iron handrail, and panelled first-floor door in end
bays. Other ranges fronting courtyard: North-west range has central 3-bay
stable flanked by lower 2-bay tack rooms. Stable has 6-panel door in
architrave under pulvinated frieze and cornice, tack rooms have plain door
surrounds. Sash windows with glazing bars; moulded eaves cornices and
hipped roofs. Opposite range similar, but stable altered to coach house
mid/late C19, with 6-panel double doors under fanlights with thick glazing
bars. Tack room at left converted to cottage with lean-to porch. Central
range: 5-bay coach house with slightly-projecting 3-bay centre. Central
round-headed passage opening, with similar gates, flanked by similar
doorways holding 6-panel double doors and panelled tympana. Plain imposts
and archivolts. End 6-panel doors in architraves under pulvinated frieze
and cornice. Eaves cornice and hipped roof. Similar rear elevation.
Lean-to rear extensions to south-east range. Cobbled and scoria-block yard.
Pointed tunnel-vaulted passage through south-west range, with doorways in
architraves under cornices. Tunnel-vaulted passage through north-east
range, rendered and scored to imitate ashlar. Main range has king-post roof
trusses and butt purlins. South east range has 5-bay round-headed blind
arcade with wood architraves and moulded imposts holding hay racks.
Listing NGR: NZ5301016822
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings