This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5527 / 54°33'9"N
Longitude: -0.8826 / 0°52'57"W
OS Eastings: 472372
OS Northings: 518065
OS Grid: NZ723180
Mapcode National: GBR QH8S.QS
Mapcode Global: WHF89.DTZQ
Entry Name: Linden House
Listing Date: 11 December 1976
Last Amended: 27 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139694
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60155
Location: Loftus, Redcar and Cleveland, TS13
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Loftus
Built-Up Area: Loftus
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Loftus-in-Cleveland St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: York
LOFTUS BOULBY DRIVE
(off west side), Loftus.
4/7 Linden House (formerly
listed as Water Lane)
Rectory, now a private house, 1843/44 by Bonomi and Gory, for Rev. H.S.
Hildyard. Wing adjoining right 1891, altered and reduced by one storey
1970. Chevron-tooled dressed sandstone with chamfered quoins, bands between
floors and at eaves. Welsh slate roof with stone ridge copings. 2 storeys,
basement and attic, 3 bays. Central doorway, up 4 steps, has double
3-panel, part-glazed doors in Doric doorcase surmounted by sculptured shield
bearing 3 mullets, flanked by scroll brackets on hollow-chamfered base.
Blocked basement window to right of doorway. Sash windows with architraves
and flat sills. Continuous eaves cornice with moulded brackets. Hipped
roof has late c19 gabled roof dormer between 2 corniced stacks. Similar
paired stacks on north and south roof pitches. Flat-roofed single-storey
wing adjoining right has 3-panel door up late C20 stair with handrail.
3-bay left return has sashes with glazing bars, 15-pane on ground floor,
with architraves and flat sills. Tablet below middle ground-floor window,
inscribed: "H. S.H.
MDCCCXLIII". 3-bay garden front has similar sashes, with cornice
hoods on brackets on ground floor, stone bracketed window boxes, with
moulded rims, on first floor. Interior retains dogleg staircase with turned
balusters and square newels. Egg-and-dart mouldings to ceiling cornices in
ground floor rooms. 6-panel doors in architraves; entablatures to drawing
room doors. Panelled internal window shutters.
Listing NGR: NZ7237218065
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings