This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5352 / 54°32'6"N
Longitude: -1.0505 / 1°3'1"W
OS Eastings: 461537
OS Northings: 515962
OS Grid: NZ615159
Mapcode National: GBR PJ30.C1
Mapcode Global: WHF8D.T8YL
Entry Name: Boundary Wall to Parish Church Hall
Listing Date: 25 April 1984
Last Amended: 13 December 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139798
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59902
Location: Guisborough, Redcar and Cleveland, TS14
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Guisborough
Built-Up Area: Guisborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Guisborough St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: York
Boundary wall to former Gisborough Old Hall and Gisborough Priory Gardens. Late-C17/early-C18 with C19 alterations.
MATERIALS: dressed sandstone with flat coping stones.
PLAN: aligned north-north-west to south-south-east, fronting onto Bow Street.
DESCRIPTION: the wall has curved reveals to the centre, accessing the Church Hall. There is a plinth to the north part. The southern section merges with the wall of Priory Garden Cottage, designated separately (Grade II, list entry 1311072).
The lands belonging to the former Priory were first leased by Thomas Chaloner in 1547, who subsequently purchased them in 1550 for £998. It was not until the death of Edward Chaloner in 1680 that the family moved to the site. Edward’s son William constructed a mansion on Bow Street, known as Old Hall, and it was at this point that the gardens were developed.
These walls form the western boundary of the Old Hall’s plot. The entrance to the hall itself was situated in a section of wall further south, now demolished, the rectangular footprint of which projected over Bow Street. The current entrance appears to have been inserted some time after 1854. The wall once surrounded the area on which the Church Hall now sits to the north, east and south; this was an area of parterres to the north of the Old Hall. The section of wall which extended east-north-east from immediately north of the current entrance once joined up to the Terrace retaining wall (list entry 1139801, Grade II).
The late-C17/early-C18 boundary wall to the Parish Church Hall is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic: as a built element of the designed landscape at Gisborough Priory Gardens
* Group value: for its association with numerous other listed structures and the scheduled Gisborough Priory ruins, which together provide physical evidence as to the story of an historically significant site with a great time depth
* Date: for its retention of pre-1840, most probably pre-1700, fabric
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings