This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5352 / 54°32'6"N
Longitude: -1.0498 / 1°2'59"W
OS Eastings: 461583
OS Northings: 515963
OS Grid: NZ615159
Mapcode National: GBR PJ30.J1
Mapcode Global: WHF8D.V89L
Entry Name: Garden Wall, 50 Metres to North of Priory Gardens Cottage
Listing Date: 25 April 1984
Last Amended: 13 December 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139801
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59909
Location: Guisborough, Redcar and Cleveland, TS14
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Guisborough
Built-Up Area: Guisborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Guisborough St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: York
Late-C17/early-C18 boundary/retaining wall.
MATERIALS: dressed sandstone.
PLAN: aligned west-south-west to east-north-east.
DESCRIPTION: the wall sits along the southern edge of the Terrace’s western section. It is buttressed to its south side.
The lands belonging to the former Priory were first leased by Thomas Chaloner in 1547, who subsequently purchased them in 1550 for £998. It was not until the death of Edward Chaloner in 1680 that the family moved to the site. Edward’s son William constructed a mansion on Bow Street, known as Old Hall, and it was at this point that the gardens were developed. The standing stonework of the Priory was incorporated into the ornamental gardens to provide a setting to the Hall. Research into the gardens has identified three main phases; 1709, 1773-1805 and 1854.
This wall forms the westernmost section of the original retaining wall to the Terrace. Raised about 2.4m above the Formal Gardens, the Terrace gave views down onto the parterres below and across to the high ground of Gisborough Moor. The majority of the wall to the east was rebuilt during the early C19 in brick and is designated separately (list entry 1159343, Grade II).
The late-C17/early-C18 garden wall 50m to the north of Priory Gardens Cottage is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic: as a built element of the designed landscape at Gisborough Priory Gardens
* Group value: for its association with numerous other listed structures and the scheduled Gisborough Priory ruins, which together provide physical evidence as to the story of an historically significant site with a great time depth
* Date: for its retention of pre-1840, most probably pre-1700, fabric
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings